Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : Changing the wheel sensor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325322)

spirediesyelling May 8th, 2022 15:51

Changing the wheel sensor

Hi everyone - So a few days ago I bought a V50 (my first car), whose only visible issue was the ABS warning light. The diagnostic code is 0010, according to which there's a faulty signal coming from the front left wheel ABS sensor.

From watching a few YouTube videos, it seems like you'd just have to take the wheel off, remove a Torx screw on the other side of the brake disc, and pull the sensor out, right? And I imagine it'd make sense to first clean the connection, see if the fault is still there, and if it is then just replace it with a compatible sensor off eBay or something?

I'm reasonably technically capable, but this is my first car and I've never even taken a wheel off a car before. Is replacing this ABS Sensor pretty straightforward for someone who's got as little experience fixing cars as I do? Or am I missing something obvious?

scrumper May 8th, 2022 19:38

THe problem may be a damaged ABS ring and not the sensor.

Wgl2020 May 9th, 2022 11:23

I would agree that the abs ring is more likely, the part of the axle they fit on rusts, expands and makes them crack. Still a DIY job to replace and not expensive.

Get the wheel off and see if you can spot a break in the ring. If so you have confirmed the culprit!

If however your initial thoughts are correct and the sensor is faulty then it's just* a case of unbolt and replace.

*the old sensor will be rusted in place, I suggest copious penetrating oil, wire brush and patience 😉

*****Edit: thinking about it do these cars actually have an Abs ring? I have a feeling that the sensor is monitoring a built in part to the hub.*******

pinballdave May 9th, 2022 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgl2020 (Post 2823350)
*****Edit: thinking about it do these cars actually have an Abs ring? I have a feeling that the sensor is monitoring a built in part to the hub.*******

This is correct, the ABS system on P1 cars uses hall sensors and a magnetic pulse wheel integrated into the inner wheel bearing seal. So doesn't suffer from corroded/broken ABS rings.

Conradv2 May 16th, 2022 11:08

I think the code would be different for ring/wheel speed error. I have had one from misalignment due to a wheel bearing failure where the sensor was fine but there was low signal (in which case it thinks the wheel is turning slower than should) . This one points at the sensor being faulty ?
Looks like it's only £10 for a sensor anyway , but I did notice they are not wired but have a plug at the sensor end , have you been able to look at that ?

Simmy May 16th, 2022 13:05

i replaced a rear one on my v70 the hardest part was threading the old one out and the new one in . easy to connect. one bolt in the hub wire plug on the other end.