Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   V90 1998 Driver's seat motor - forward/backward (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335443)

mrreliable Sep 26th, 2023 09:08

V90 1998 Driver's seat motor - forward/backward

Hi, The middle electric motor of the 3 under the driver's seat has burned out - does anyone have a replacement to sell? It's the one controlling the forward and backward seat movement, and can't locate one anywhere. All help/suggestions welcome.
Brian

classicswede Sep 26th, 2023 22:17

I have one available, working used motor

Forrest Sep 27th, 2023 01:02

Has it definitely burned out? The motors themselves are generally pretty robust. A more common issue is the flexible drive shafts jamming up. I’ve also once had an issue with one of the electrical wires breaking.

mrreliable Sep 28th, 2023 00:46

Front driver's seat electric motor

Hi, thanks for the reply - I've emailed you for further info,
Brian (Mrreliable)

mrreliable Sep 28th, 2023 00:48

Thanks Forrest, I'm pretty sure it's the motor as even with the flexible drive cable disconnected from the motor, it still struggles and eventually just stops. Thanks again,
Brian (Mrreliable)

odaikorob Apr 11th, 2024 10:04

1998 V90 Drivers Side Electric Seat forward/backward

My Driver’s seat forward / backward function has stopped working on the right hand side. Does the motor on the right need replacing or it is a connecting cable failure?

360beast Apr 11th, 2024 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by odaikorob (Post 2944973)
My Driver’s seat forward / backward function has stopped working on the right hand side. Does the motor on the right need replacing or it is a connecting cable failure?

It could even be the switch isn't working properly, I'd try contact cleaner first and working the switch before condemning it. If that doesn't fix it then you'll have to investigate the problem, potentially by unbolting the seat and tipping it back to get a proper look underneath.

bob12 Apr 11th, 2024 21:05

If you look above at 'Sales' P505DEF (Tom) has a 900 for parts sale on EBay that has an electric driver's seat. He may well have what you are looking for or is willing to part-up.

Visually (and I assume actually), the controls look and are the same as 850's and my '98 V70 of the era.

I had a problem with the V70 and stripped out the control assembly at the side of the seat (very carefully considering the SIPs activation - do it once and understand how it works and it's a doddle!!).

Once the innards; control sliders etc and positions contacts on the pcb had been cleaned up and re-assembled the seat again worked perfectly.

A big problem is that the control panel is subject to the elements when the door is opened and is not really weather/rain proof!

If the problem is with the actual control motors Robert has some informative videos on Ytube.

Bob.:)

360beast Apr 13th, 2024 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2945007)
It could even be the switch isn't working properly, I'd try contact cleaner first and working the switch before condemning it. If that doesn't fix it then you'll have to investigate the problem, potentially by unbolting the seat and tipping it back to get a proper look underneath.

Helps if I read it properly, obviously the switch is working otherwise it wouldn't be working on the left hand side!