Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Volvo 164 parts! - Nearly Free!!!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118372)

Sean706 Mar 4th, 2011 15:38

Volvo 164 parts! - Nearly Free!!!!

Hi guys, dont shoot me but I have just acquired a volvo 164 for banger racing, the shell is shot but the majority of the trim is good condition and other than the seats the black vinyl/leather interior is in fairly good nick.

Now, I obviously dont want these parts for my purpose and it seems a shame to bin 'em. I am offering all of the parts I remove from the car for free, this includes radiator, power steering unit, alternator, fuel tank, all glass etc etc etc etc etc

However, the car is fuel injection and I would rather race it on carbs, if anyone wants the parts listed above for free I would like to borrow at the very least a manifold and linkage and preferably - a complete set of carbs, manifold and linkage.

Please dont give me messages of 'its a waste' etc, the car was advertised and I bought it!

Please call/txt me on

Also, if anyone has a set of carbs etc that I could rent/borrow and you dont want all the 164 parts then please also get in touch.

john h Mar 4th, 2011 17:58

Can I have first call on the parts please.

I'll send you a list of the things I am interested in.

Cheers

John

Sean706 Mar 4th, 2011 19:59

Ok John, txt me the list as soon as you know if you have the carbs etc

Mike B Mar 5th, 2011 07:47

need fuel pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean706 (Post 855231)
Hi guys, dont shoot me but I have just acquired a volvo 164 for banger racing, the shell is shot but the majority of the trim is good condition and other than the seats the black vinyl/leather interior is in fairly good nick.

Now, I obviously dont want these parts for my purpose and it seems a shame to bin 'em. I am offering all of the parts I remove from the car for free, this includes radiator, power steering unit, alternator, fuel tank, all glass etc etc etc etc etc

However, the car is fuel injection and I would rather race it on carbs, if anyone wants the parts listed above for free I would like to borrow at the very least a manifold and linkage and preferably - a complete set of carbs, manifold and linkage.

Please dont give me messages of 'its a waste' etc, the car was advertised and I bought it!

Please call/txt me on

Also, if anyone has a set of carbs etc that I could rent/borrow and you dont want all the 164 parts then please also get in touch.

For 164E Also brain and would be willin to pay a resable price .
Regards
Mike B

Sean706 Mar 5th, 2011 14:40

Brain? I figured it would be on points . . .

Sean706 Mar 6th, 2011 10:06

It seems John is unable to locate the parts I need to borrow and the other chap that txt me isn't answering his phone for last 2 days? :-S

I have tried to help out you guys by offering the parts up for free in return for carbs but no avail.

Can anyone tell me how to wire up the fuel injection system by-passing the original loom? Is the brain the box on the inner wing? Has four wires on the plug and the distributor has 3. Do I simply 'live up' one of the wires that go into the brain?

Audrey Old Mar 6th, 2011 23:17

Sean - I really wish we were closer to you, cos only today I fetched down from my recently vandalised rented garage near my sons place, lots of 164 spares. These included carbs, manifold and distributor for a carb car.... I also had lots of Amazon and 140 panels, as I confronted pykies driving into the garage area during the week, and taking something from one garage which had the door smashed in by thugs.
All 18 garages in the block were kicked in (so scum could see what was inside?) so now its only a matter of time before spares start to vanish. Going back in a couple of days to collect another 240-estate load (if not too late).
Anyway, I too would have loved to have your surplus injection bits, as I run a 164E like mike B does. However, I have lots of carb 164 spares from previously-owned cars, hence my mail. However, on your car have you considered how you would block the injector holes: you would need a carb-car distributor; a lot of bugg**y around the fuel supply (carb cars were a system like the Amazon/140, ie mechanical petrol pump), a different exhaust system and wiring alterations to the ignition system AT LEAST.
Seriously, if the injection system works OK on your car, why not leave it as it is? Is it racing regulations, or do you fancy a HUGE challenge?
If still interested, do you have an economic couriers between your area and the Worthing area of the south coast, cos that lot will be costly to move.

Paul

Audrey Old Mar 6th, 2011 23:20

Sean - reread your post and forgot to say the brain usually lives under the front passenger seat, on the floor. Its about the size of an old cassette recorder and has a many-wired plug going in to it.
Don't ask me anything about car electrics alterations - I don't have a clue!

Paul

Sean706 Mar 7th, 2011 10:48

Hi Paul, I was unaware it was such a big job, I figured it was just a case of changing the inlet manifold and maybe thee distributor :-S
Can you give me a call tonight, after 8pm? Or txt ur number and I'll call you

foggyjames Mar 7th, 2011 12:49

Hi Sean,

Thanks for coming on here and offering us parts...banger racers often get a bad name amongst enthusiasts, but I know a few now who are willing to help out with parts they don't need, and the cars in question are usually beyond repair anyway.

I could do with most of the chrome trim from the sides (i.e. down the wings, doors, etc), if you could remove them carefully. If they end up in good condition (they're a bit of a sod to remove without bending / kinking them), I'd be happy to give you some beer money for them. I have family in Cornwall (my old man was born in Redruth), and will be heading down at Easter, when I could arrange a collection. There may be other bits and bobs, too...I'll have a think!

cheers

James