Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AWD Transmission: XC90 rear subframe change (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322314)

1tinkerer Dec 23rd, 2021 19:51

XC90 rear subframe change

Hi all,
I am currently pulling what is left of my hair out!! I have to change the rear subframe out as it is rusty am I found a couple of holes in the current one. I knew it was a little rusty, but was not expecting this..

Anyway, I need to remove the haldex and diff, but I cannot take the driveshafts or the prop shaft out... I have removed the bolts on the propshaft and it will not budge. The driveshafts dont want to move either.
Has anyone any tips or advice as to how to do this?

Thanks..

Dancake Dec 23rd, 2021 20:38

Have you tried a large deadblow nylon mallet?

1tinkerer Dec 23rd, 2021 21:37

I have a large hide mallet that I have been trying for the prop shaft, but it ain't budging.. I have tried pulling it out and tapping at the sides to see if I can loosen the grip, but nothing is moving.
I need the drive-shafts out also, but just cant get a grip to prise them out either..

1tinkerer Dec 26th, 2021 13:25

Hi all,
Just to let you know, I got the prop shaft off and the driveshafts out. I found the screw holes on the back of the coupling to drive the joint out of the coupling. Drive shafts weren't too bad either..
New subframe then all back in.. :thumbs_up:

SkipjackUK Dec 26th, 2021 18:41

any idea why your rear subframe was so rusted? my 2003 has visible rust as too be expected, never really banged around and checked it.

just wondering if your has had a life near water or the sea?

glad you got it sorted, what year?

1tinkerer Dec 31st, 2021 00:15

Hi there,
I reckon that a previous owner had used it for a boat or the like. The Subframe was really bad and has holed in a number of places. The bodywork at the rear has also suffered a little underneath, bit I can hopefully get that cleaned up and sealed/painted before refitting the subframe. It is a 2004. I have a 2005 subframe to replace it is like new in comparison..

SkipjackUK Dec 31st, 2021 08:16

Good, we need to preserve these 1st Gen D5's and keep them on the road :) well worth doing if everything else is performing nicely. such a lovely SUV

1tinkerer Dec 31st, 2021 21:00

Yes indeed, they are nice and generally quite good. I have the replacement subframe stripped and washed for checking, but it seems much much better thank goodness. My heart sank last week when I found a hole or two. Seeing some light now at the end of the tunnel.. I will post some photos when I am able..

Happy New Year everyone..

1tinkerer Dec 31st, 2021 21:17

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of photos of the donor subframe being removed and the general condition. It is stripped now and I gave it a good wash, so it doesnt look just as crusty..