Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 Engine : C30 Oil Consumption (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338448)

TomW90 Feb 28th, 2024 17:42

C30 Oil Consumption

Hi, I bought a C30 R-Design Lux (petrol) in September, 83k miles. I seem to have an oil problem. So far it's got through 4 litres over the course of 3000 miles. That seems very excessive to me, but I don't know if it's normal or not. The local garage can't find any leaks, and I haven't noticed any smoke, smells or lack of performance. I've done a youtube PCV "glove" test, the glove didn't inflate or get sucked in, it just sort of mildly blew in and out rapidly, so I don't know what that means. It's under extended warranty, but there's a claim limit, so before I start going down that rabbit hole, are there common problems with this model to point to, and are they reasonable to fix?

Any advice much appreciated.

PNM Feb 28th, 2024 17:54

That level of consumption is absolutely not normal. What engine has it got? The 1.8 petrols are prone to oil consumption problems.

TomW90 Mar 7th, 2024 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNM (Post 2938353)
That level of consumption is absolutely not normal. What engine has it got? The 1.8 petrols are prone to oil consumption problems.

Thanks PNM, it's 1.999cc

Thassos Mar 8th, 2024 19:27

t stat

Just a wild theory, do you know if the car coolant gets up to working temp fairly quickly, as something like a thermostat stuck (open) will cause it to spend most of its time running cooler and possibly will not help with oil consumption (which the petrol C30s do seem to suffer from), try plugging in a cheap obd2 reader and monitor coolant temp on a typical run, it should reach 90c (although the dash gauge doesnt really work like a linear readout).

Kev0607 Mar 8th, 2024 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW90 (Post 2938352)
Hi, I bought a C30 R-Design Lux (petrol) in September, 83k miles. I seem to have an oil problem. So far it's got through 4 litres over the course of 3000 miles. That seems very excessive to me, but I don't know if it's normal or not. The local garage can't find any leaks, and I haven't noticed any smoke, smells or lack of performance. I've done a youtube PCV "glove" test, the glove didn't inflate or get sucked in, it just sort of mildly blew in and out rapidly, so I don't know what that means. It's under extended warranty, but there's a claim limit, so before I start going down that rabbit hole, are there common problems with this model to point to, and are they reasonable to fix?

Any advice much appreciated.

That's a lot of oil and its definitely not normal. No leaks means its burning it.

I'd get the mechanic to do a compression test and pull some of the spark plugs to see what state they're in. If there's fresh oil on them, then that could mean internal issues like valve seals or piston rings.