Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Spin Control Off & No Power (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321694)

whiteo1 Nov 24th, 2021 17:22

Spin Control Off & No Power

Hi

Wondering if someone may have any suggestions on this. Have a 2006 XC90 2.4D5 which I went to start a couple of mornings ago and the DSTC orange warning light started flashing as soon as I pulled away. This has cut all power and is now permanantly on. This is now accompanied by messages showing:
Spin Control Off
Anti Skid Off

When I say no power there is literally nothing maybe 2-3mph flat out! Although still goes pretty quick in reverse - maybe not the best temporary solution.

Unfortunately living in the sticks my local garage is about 30 minutes out which on current speed would take me about 3 days to get there!

Found a similar post on this forum where people have linked this to first stages of battery failure but have done a quick test across the terminals and getting 12.4 which I believe should not be low enough to cause any issues.

If anyone has any ideas that I can attempt to do a bit of trial and error fault finding - even temporary fix just to get me to garage. I am also looking into OBD scanners to assist if anyone could recommend one that would be suitable for this type of issue (assume ABS compatable needed?).

Many thanks for any help.

LiamM Dec 1st, 2021 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteo1 (Post 2787826)
Hi

Wondering if someone may have any suggestions on this. Have a 2006 XC90 2.4D5 which I went to start a couple of mornings ago and the DSTC orange warning light started flashing as soon as I pulled away. This has cut all power and is now permanantly on. This is now accompanied by messages showing:
Spin Control Off
Anti Skid Off

When I say no power there is literally nothing maybe 2-3mph flat out! Although still goes pretty quick in reverse - maybe not the best temporary solution.

Unfortunately living in the sticks my local garage is about 30 minutes out which on current speed would take me about 3 days to get there!

Found a similar post on this forum where people have linked this to first stages of battery failure but have done a quick test across the terminals and getting 12.4 which I believe should not be low enough to cause any issues.

If anyone has any ideas that I can attempt to do a bit of trial and error fault finding - even temporary fix just to get me to garage. I am also looking into OBD scanners to assist if anyone could recommend one that would be suitable for this type of issue (assume ABS compatable needed?).

I had similar, not sure about reverse working as I didn’t try, but it turned out to be damaged wiring to two injectors. Took ages to figure out as the code scanner didn’t pick it up right.
Getting a proper (well it was a copy) volvo Vida/dice scanner proved to be invaluable.

Tannaton Dec 2nd, 2021 08:56

Getting a proper code read that is Volvo VIDA or compatible will likely tell you exactly what the problem is.

You should measure the battery voltage with the engine running as well - it should be circa 14.2 - 14.4 volts which would indicate the alternator is charging.

zikomo Dec 2nd, 2021 09:49

Just a thought - how long did you try to make forward progress for? Reason I ask is I had a similar issue with similar warning messages. Car would only crawl forward for first minute or so, then full power would kick in and could drive as normal. Turned out to be an ABS ring I think.

Try again, this time let the car crawl forward for a bit and see of power kicks in. If it does be careful, you will get wheel spin if you floor it and some instability when putting any power on during a turn.

zakmuh Dec 9th, 2021 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamM (Post 2789598)
I had similar, not sure about reverse working as I didn’t try, but it turned out to be damaged wiring to two injectors. Took ages to figure out as the code scanner didn’t pick it up right.
Getting a proper (well it was a copy) volvo Vida/dice scanner proved to be invaluable.

I had similar too, kept going to limp mode. First time it was the drive shaft issue and the second time it was the No2 injector- had a loose connection.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...96#post2786096

noddycat Dec 17th, 2021 15:46

I had exactly the same - the same symptoms / warnings - was just a front ABS sensor - straightforward DIY or garage job. I've got VIDA so it was an easy diagnosis - I also found that with the initial lack of power after starting off, if you kept your foot down normal power resumed within a few seconds.

My money's on the same for you, though you won't know for sure until you've had the codes read. The VIDA ABS sensor error can also be the ABS ring too apparently - again straightforward though a bit more of a faff.

Xc90noobie Mar 7th, 2024 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteo1 (Post 2787826)
Hi

Spin Control Off
Anti Skid Off

Hey whiteo, did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the exact same and would love to know how you resolved it. Thanks