Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   2015 V60 D4 CC AWD background vibration (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317963)

The Thong Jun 28th, 2021 14:16

2015 V60 D4 CC AWD background vibration

On my way to Volvo600 yesterday I noticed a thrumming (for the want of a better word). It starts about 60mph and goes away once in to the 80mph+ Speeds. There’s more vibration on acceleration and it seems to go away on the over run ie like going down hill. Other than that it thrums away to itself in the back ground. I’ve traveled the internet and not really seen any definitive solutions.

TT

100K+ Jul 8th, 2021 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2748821)
On my way to Volvo600 yesterday I noticed a thrumming (for the want of a better word). It starts about 60mph and goes away once in to the 80mph+ Speeds. There’s more vibration on acceleration and it seems to go away on the over run ie like going down hill. Other than that it thrums away to itself in the back ground. I’ve traveled the internet and not really seen any definitive solutions.

TT

Going to assume you have no warning lights or codes.
Any thrum sound to me hints of bearings.. Therefore my first thoughts are wheel bearings, but the sound disappears on over run, which hints at transmission, as the wheels will still rotate the same whether or not on the over-run but the transmission would be loaded differently, on power and during over run .... so thats my opinion. From there its gearbox issues and in the case of AWD... bevel gear....???? Other parts of the AWD system propshaft, haldex; rear diff are reasonably sound, although I have read cases of prop bearings becoming noisey.

just my 2d.

Cheers
Bob

The Thong Jul 8th, 2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2751535)
Going to assume you have no warning lights or codes.
Any thrum sound to me hints of bearings.. Therefore my first thoughts are wheel bearings, but the sound disappears on over run, which hints at transmission, as the wheels will still rotate the same whether or not on the over-run but the transmission would be loaded differently, on power and during over run .... so thats my opinion. From there its gearbox issues and in the case of AWD... bevel gear....???? Other parts of the AWD system propshaft, haldex; rear diff are reasonably sound, although I have read cases of prop bearings becoming noisey.

just my 2d.

Cheers
Bob

Transmission noises, the pain in the ar5e of all time. My first port of call is try a different set of tyres and work from there. Long gone are the days of checking for end float in the pinion flange and lift on the prop… these modern cars are powered by voodoo and witchcraft.
There’s no warnings snd I don’t have Vida. I’ll go through the simple stuff and work from there

100K+ Jul 8th, 2021 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2751597)
Transmission noises, the pain in the ar5e of all time. My first port of call is try a different set of tyres and work from there. Long gone are the days of checking for end float in the pinion flange and lift on the prop… these modern cars are powered by voodoo and witchcraft.
There’s no warnings snd I don’t have Vida. I’ll go through the simple stuff and work from there

I wish you luck.. I chased a rattle to drop links, but i'm so old and hard of hearing I changed the wrong side before my loving wife took pleasure in telling me it was her side rattling not mine :)

Not sure if cloned Vida would read your car either...2015MY is fine ( my 2014 V70 is 2015MY and can be read fine) but think 2016MY is a car too far.

Cheers
Bob

The Thong Jul 9th, 2021 19:30

Cheers

I don’t think I’ve described the thrumming noise properly. It’s not like constant thrumming but it’s more of a regular pulsing thrum, it’s hard to describe really. The best way I can describe it is like a Thrummmm, Thrummm, Thrummm that comes and goes between 60 and just above 80. Im going to illuminate tyres first and see where it goes from there.

TT

The Thong Jul 11th, 2021 09:27

It was a tyre…… Phew!! Did a swap about and fitted some spare wheels I had and the noise has gone… Yay!! Thanks for the input

TT

100K+ Jul 11th, 2021 10:36

Don't understand how tyres cause an unexplained "noise". In my mind a tyre noise is either there or not, and if it is, does it not happen as soon as you put the tyres on??? Surely (to me) it don't creep up on you??
But it must do, as I have read various reports about noise/rumbles which turn out to be tyre related. I'd be interested to know what brand of tyres you ran, as I have never experienced this effect. That said I usually run Michelin ( on my D5) and F1 Goodyears on my now dead T5 & AWD R.

Cheers
Bob

The Thong Jul 11th, 2021 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2752419)
Don't understand how tyres cause an unexplained "noise". In my mind a tyre noise is either there or not, and if it is, does it not happen as soon as you put the tyres on??? Surely (to me) it don't creep up on you??
But it must do, as I have read various reports about noise/rumbles which turn out to be tyre related. I'd be interested to know what brand of tyres you ran, as I have never experienced this effect. That said I usually run Michelin ( on my D5) and F1 Goodyears on my now dead T5 & AWD R.

Cheers
Bob

I have a bent rim on my motor so I fitted my spare alloys which “were” ok twelve months ago. I refitted them for a long run with the idea of getting them repainted…. Seems in that twelve months of storage, one of them have started to deteriorate. Ok, they were stored outside but very well covered up away from the weather. They’re not the exact same treat pattern but they’re pretty close. I’d be surprised if that’s been the cause. However, result!! Yay!!