Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   AC Compressor clutch (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318647)

eternal optimist Jul 25th, 2021 08:36

AC Compressor clutch

My AC shows all the signs of needing the clutch re shimming. AC works fine for say 15 mins or so (not timed it, might be a bit longer) then packs up.

I can get a new compressor for £145; would I be better off going for that? The car’s done just shy of 190k, I’ve done 65k of those, nothing in the history to say it’s been done before.

Thanks

cheshired5 Jul 25th, 2021 13:17

The wear is expected and built into the design of the compressor so why not shim the clutch?

Definitely no need for a new compressor.

eternal optimist Jul 25th, 2021 15:05

If it’s a 10 or 20,000 mile fix, I’d prefer to fit a new compressor; clutches are expensive relative to complete compressors. If I’m going to get 40k out of it by re shimming I’ll do that.

cheshired5 Jul 25th, 2021 17:28

If you remove the clutch plate, you'll find washers of variable thickness in the centre.
Remove the washer(s) which restore the correct clutch gap, secure the clutch plate and you're good again for several years.
The washers are deliberately there for this exact scenario so like I say, no replacement is required.

Alternatively, insert clips into the circular clutch springs to reduce their spring back travel to achieve a new clutch plate resting point closer to the AC pulley. .
I did this and it lasted 6 years. Did it again about 6 weeks ago.

All free, tried and tested long term fixes. :thumbs_up:

MWMan Jul 27th, 2021 05:13

I did my AC compressor pulley/clutch and bearing renewal in 2016 at 135,000. I think it was all original until then. I found 2x 0.3mm shims in mine and I left one out when I put it back together. The resultant gap was 0.4mm. The gap should be between 0.3 and 0.5mm I believe. The compressor has been fine since then.

I often wonder just how long a replacement compressor might last, compared to the originals.

BarryCambs Jul 27th, 2021 10:54

I did my shims about 50k ago and it's still fine. I don't use the aircon that much though. Once you've made the plate up to do the job, it's not so bad and worth a try compared to the pain and cost of replacing the pump

TurboJim Jul 28th, 2021 18:56

Can anyone recommend a suitable tool for removing the AC clutch? And where to obtain one? Many thanks

cheshired5 Jul 28th, 2021 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboJim (Post 2757612)
Can anyone recommend a suitable tool for removing the AC clutch? And where to obtain one? Many thanks

You want something like this which includes the clutch plate counterhold and puller.

ASt85 Jul 28th, 2021 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2756641)
If you remove the clutch plate, you'll find washers of variable thickness in the centre.
Remove the washer(s) which restore the correct clutch gap, secure the clutch plate and you're good again for several years.
The washers are deliberately there for this exact scenario so like I say, no replacement is required.

Alternatively, insert clips into the circular clutch springs to reduce their spring back travel to achieve a new clutch plate resting point closer to the AC pulley. .
I did this and it lasted 6 years. Did it again about 6 weeks ago.

All free, tried and tested long term fixes. :thumbs_up:

Worked for me on my previous 2001 V70 P2 - just follow cheshired5's guide and you can't go wrong....... I used e-clips to create the necessary gap but still kept the shims in place - NB I also refaced the clutch plates using increasing less agressive files and emery colth with the plates bolted down to an arbour in a drill - both clutch plates were coned/dished - having achieved the flats the e-clips provided the 3 - 4mm clearance needed.
NB it is prefectly possible to remove the compressor from the mount without removing the aircon tubes, after removing the alterantor and undoing the aircon bolts rotate it horizontally through around 110 degrees and you will get all the access you need - although it does mean a bit of a few barked knuckles but the benefit is you don't need to have the system degassed prior to working on it :GEEK:

eternal optimist Jul 28th, 2021 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboJim (Post 2757612)

Got mine from eBay, c. £15.