Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Drivers Side Wing Mirror Glass fell out! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319973)

Chunk11 Sep 15th, 2021 19:12

Drivers Side Wing Mirror Glass fell out!

Walking back to the XC90 after picking the kids up from school and couldn’t believe my eyes as I watched my drivers side mirror glass just fall out and onto the pavement before splitting in half!

A quick look showed that the glue had failed on the back of the glass. For now whilst I find a new one I have gorilla glued it back in place. Got me wondering the car is a 2007 so 14 years old (I’ve had it 5 1/2 years) but still surprised this happened knowing how long Volvo components last. I have attached a couple of photos and wondering if my glass might have been changed to a non genuine item at some point?

Glad I saw it first hand as I would never have believed the wife if she told me that….😁

Chunk11 Sep 15th, 2021 19:16

2 Attachment(s)
.Attachment 137540

Attachment 137541

SwissXC90 Sep 15th, 2021 19:33

Get another, clip it on. Easy peasy.

Familyman 90 Sep 16th, 2021 11:41

I suffered this in hot weather about 2 years ago. It looked as if the glue had dried out and given up and the glass was becoming detached from the mounting plinth. Out of 3 x XC90's weve owned with half a million between them, this was the only 'fault' we'd suffered.

Even so, by that time my car was 11 years old so almost at the end of the working life for the average car, so to have that as the only issue was not bad at all.

In my case the glass had not detached entirely, so I eas able to remove it intact before it fell out and broke. I obtained some Sikaflex from work and glued it back in position, good as new.

Tannaton Sep 16th, 2021 17:34

It's a common problem, get a new one and pop it in. FYI it is the same part as the door mirror glass on the P3 XC70.

Kev0607 Sep 16th, 2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk11 (Post 2770798)
Walking back to the XC90 after picking the kids up from school and couldn’t believe my eyes as I watched my drivers side mirror glass just fall out and onto the pavement before splitting in half!

A quick look showed that the glue had failed on the back of the glass. For now whilst I find a new one I have gorilla glued it back in place. Got me wondering the car is a 2007 so 14 years old (I’ve had it 5 1/2 years) but still surprised this happened knowing how long Volvo components last. I have attached a couple of photos and wondering if my glass might have been changed to a non genuine item at some point?

Glad I saw it first hand as I would never have believed the wife if she told me that….😁

Its nothing to do with the mirror itself, its the glue/adhesive that holds it.

It doesn’t matter if you buy a genuine mirror. If the adhesive has failed, then the genuine mirror that you buy won’t be much use.

Its a common problem. The original adhesive done well to last 14 years. Its not a component issue as such, more like an adhesive one!

Get yourself a new mirror glass & get some decent adhesive. Sikaflex is very good, as mentioned above.

Baxlin Sep 17th, 2021 06:06

Judging by its reputation, best of luck in getting it out if you used Gorilla Glue...

But assail above, mirror glass coming adrift is not an uncommon occurrence

Chunk11 Sep 18th, 2021 14:21

Thanks guys I ordered a cheap eBay one (£10) it arrived today and isn’t even the right size! I am guessing the best place is a scrap yard as it probably isn’t worth me paying full Volvo price. Anybody have one they want to sell?
I will look at a few XC90’s on eBay that are being broken and message the sellers to see what sort of price they want and put a wanted advert on this forum.

Chunk11 Sep 18th, 2021 14:26

eBay has got me thinking with the listing for the XC90 wing mirror glass is 2003-2006 different to the 2007-2014 wing mirror glass in the way it attaches?