Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stunning 240 estate (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319022)

Rikvdub Aug 7th, 2021 23:34

Stunning 240 estate
 
5 Attachment(s)
Stunning volvo 240 estate, only one previous owner with full service history. Manual 4 speed, 2 keys, mot january 2022. heated front seats, power steering, central looking. Everything works as it should, recently had new timing belt, full service including new exhaust, suspension, battery and headlights!! all invoices and paperwork. Ive owned this car since 2004 and as did the previous owner given it whatever itís wanted no matter the cost! A real genuine classic rust free Volvo! Probably one of the best available on the uk roads. First to see will buy,
£8995ono
Serious offers considered
** please note, number plate not included**

Car is located in Hertfordshire, happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks

Othen Aug 16th, 2021 08:51

Iím not being facetious, but I wondered whether the asking price was a misprint, and should have said £3,995 rather than £8,995?

Iím sure you are very proud of your motor car, but 9 grand would be pretty strong money for a 32 year old, 130,000 mile 240 (as would 4 grand really),

Good fortune with the sale, and welcome to the forum.

Alan

Laird Scooby Aug 16th, 2021 09:24

Firstly, welcome aboard!

Secondly, my knowledge of the 240 isn't that great but there are a few things that someone considering spending £9k on a car will pick up on.

First, the wheels are the wrong colour! Second, headlight wipers missing, third the paint is faded on at least the drivers door and fourth, if you had vacuumed it out to present the carpets/mats as clean, it would give a better impression.

You may think i'm being picky here and to an extent i am but if the car was up for £895, i probably wouldn't have mentioned anything. At £8995, people want a perfect car in every way and will be a lot more picky to find the right one.

Better to hear it in what i hope was a constructive way from someone like me that wants to wish you well for the sale than a potential buyer looking for points they can use to negotaite the price down. You may get your £9k but you will have to wait and i'd strongly suggest addressing those points i made at least, alternatively perhaps consider a lower (more realistic) price.

Whichever path you choose, good luck with it!

Rikvdub Aug 16th, 2021 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2762613)
Firstly, welcome aboard!

Secondly, my knowledge of the 240 isn't that great but there are a few things that someone considering spending £9k on a car will pick up on.

First, the wheels are the wrong colour! Second, headlight wipers missing, third the paint is faded on at least the drivers door and fourth, if you had vacuumed it out to present the carpets/mats as clean, it would give a better impression.

You may think i'm being picky here and to an extent i am but if the car was up for £895, i probably wouldn't have mentioned anything. At £8995, people want a perfect car in every way and will be a lot more picky to find the right one.

Better to hear it in what i hope was a constructive way from someone like me that wants to wish you well for the sale than a potential buyer looking for points they can use to negotaite the price down. You may get your £9k but you will have to wait and i'd strongly suggest addressing those points i made at least, alternatively perhaps consider a lower (more realistic) price.

Whichever path you choose, good luck with it!


Hello,

Thank you for your comments! However, I do have the headlight wipers they was removed to fit the new headlights and I never got round to putting them back on. Secondly, the paint is original and so yes it does need a good polish now and then and it does come up great! As you can see from the pictures the rear seats are down and it was storing a set of seats for my other car. They have now been taken out the car and I am going to upload some new pics as these was just taken to show the car that was advertised! Thirdly, the wheels I had painted black as they are easier to keep clean plus IMO I think they suit the car better!! Fourthly, When I have the time I will give the car a full valet and polish inside and out showing just how clean and straight this car is! And lastly, from the wrecks Ive seen for sale over the last 6 months which were priced between 3-6k that had double the millage, 6+ owners and riddled in rust this Iím comparison is far from! The price is negotiable like everything! And being that Iíve owned it for the last 17 years Iím certainly in no rush to let it go!! Not only that but for those who seem to be worried about how the sale is going, Iíve been approached by a chap in the US who is very interested! Heís actually had shipping companies contact me to see how flexible I am to arrange a time if collected. And one more thing Iíd like to point out isÖ. it was insured on classic car insurance with an agreed value of £11000. So for those who want to make any remarks or comments I suggest you keep them to yourself as the bottom line is you donít have a 240 in this condition and never will have because you probably canít afford one!
GOOD DAY!

Laird Scooby Aug 16th, 2021 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikvdub (Post 2762770)
Hello,

Thank you for your comments! However, I do have the headlight wipers they was removed to fit the new headlights and I never got round to putting them back on. Secondly, the paint is original and so yes it does need a good polish now and then and it does come up great! As you can see from the pictures the rear seats are down and it was storing a set of seats for my other car. They have now been taken out the car and I am going to upload some new pics as these was just taken to show the car that was advertised! Thirdly, the wheels I had painted black as they are easier to keep clean plus IMO I think they suit the car better!! Fourthly, When I have the time I will give the car a full valet and polish inside and out showing just how clean and straight this car is! And lastly, from the wrecks Ive seen for sale over the last 6 months which were priced between 3-6k that had double the millage, 6+ owners and riddled in rust this Iím comparison is far from! The price is negotiable like everything! And being that Iíve owned it for the last 17 years Iím certainly in no rush to let it go!! Not only that but for those who seem to be worried about how the sale is going, Iíve been approached by a chap in the US who is very interested! Heís actually had shipping companies contact me to see how flexible I am to arrange a time if collected. And one more thing Iíd like to point out isÖ. it was insured on classic car insurance with an agreed value of £11000. So for those who want to make any remarks or comments I suggest you keep them to yourself as the bottom line is you donít have a 240 in this condition and never will have because you probably canít afford one!
GOOD DAY!

Sorry if my comments (based on the evidence YOU provided) were too close to home and i still have my doubts about the paintowrk, especially as one photo suggests you hadn't long finished washing it.

However you can't describe a car as "Stunning" when it clearly isn't. :nah:

Good luck with the US connection, i suspect you will need it! Why would someone want to spend thousands of bucks importing a car several thousand miles and then having it converted to LHD when all they need to do is go to California, or a similar state with deserts and pick one up in as good condition, if not better for less money? Seriously, ask yourself that!

Lastly, i'm not going to get into a willy-waving competition about agreed values, simply point out you've posted on a Volvo forum where almost all of us own Volvos of one form or another. I wouldn't want another 240, not my cup of tea to be honest.

I'm glad you're in no hurry to sell it, the price will put most people off to start with and your attitude will put the rest off.

Rikvdub Aug 16th, 2021 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2762774)
Sorry if my comments (based on the evidence YOU provided) were too close to home and i still have my doubts about the paintowrk, especially as one photo suggests you hadn't long finished washing it.

However you can't describe a car as "Stunning" when it clearly isn't. :nah:

Good luck with the US connection, i suspect you will need it! Why would someone want to spend thousands of bucks importing a car several thousand miles and then having it converted to LHD when all they need to do is go to California, or a similar state with deserts and pick one up in as good condition, if not better for less money? Seriously, ask yourself that!

Lastly, i'm not going to get into a willy-waving competition about agreed values, simply point out you've posted on a Volvo forum where almost all of us own Volvos of one form or another. I wouldn't want another 240, not my cup of tea to be honest.

I'm glad you're in no hurry to sell it, the price will put most people off to start with and your attitude will put the rest off.

GOOD! I hope it does, cos I wouldnít want to sell it to any of you out of principal. I believe they call you idiots keyboard junkies who have nothing better to do with your life! And Iíve imported several cars from abroad before and never once converted it to RHD. And he didnít even mention doing that.

loki_the_glt Aug 16th, 2021 19:50

Which engine does it have?

Laird Scooby Aug 16th, 2021 19:59

BED991 VOLVO 240

Check another vehicle
Colour Red
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 21 June 1989
MOT valid until 25 January 2022

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.
If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate
Date tested 11 January 2021
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 129,907 miles
MOT test number 6148 9607 3501
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 25 January 2022
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Wheel bearing has slight play (5.1.3 (a) (i))

What are advisories?
Date tested 24 January 2020
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 129,907 miles
MOT test number 5146 3690 7155
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 25 January 2021
Date tested 24 January 2019
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 129,247 miles
MOT test number 7689 1053 7637
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 25 January 2020
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

What are advisories?
The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity Ė dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more
Date tested 3 January 2018
Pass
Mileage 128,962 miles
MOT test number 6376 9871 0373
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 25 January 2019
Date tested 23 January 2017
Pass
Mileage 128,568 miles
MOT test number 1302 6121 5775
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 25 January 2018
Date tested 26 January 2016
Pass
Mileage 127,511 miles
MOT test number 7044 9809 0489
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 25 January 2017
Advisory notice item(s)

n/s and o/s headlamp reflectors are deteriorating.
advise n/s and/s rear passenger seats removed at time of re-test.

What are advisories?
Date tested 19 January 2016
Fail
Mileage 127,462 miles
MOT test number 8401 6436 6611
Test location
View test location
Reason(s) for failure

Nearside Rear Passenger's seat cannot be secured in the upright position. (6.2.A.2)
Offside Rear Passenger's seat cannot be secured in the upright position. (6.2.A.2)

Advisory notice item(s)

n/s and o/s headlamp reflectors are deteriorating.

What are failures and advisories?
Date tested 16 January 2015
Pass
Mileage 126,277 miles
MOT test number 3673 0601 5069
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 20 January 2016
Advisory notice item(s)

both headlamp,leses are deteriorating.

What are advisories?
Date tested 8 January 2015
Fail
Mileage 126,272 miles
MOT test number 1776 6840 5433
Test location
View test location
Reason(s) for failure

Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Advisory notice item(s)

both headlamp,leses are deteriorating.

What are failures and advisories?
Date tested 3 January 2014
Pass
Mileage 123,608 miles
MOT test number 2265 2330 4018
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 20 January 2015
Advisory notice item(s)

advise o/s and n/s headlamp reflectors are deteriorating

What are advisories?
Date tested 8 January 2013
Pass
Mileage 118,317 miles
MOT test number 2680 6820 3074
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 20 January 2014
Date tested 3 January 2013
Fail
Mileage 118,259 miles
MOT test number 9091 6350 3024
Test location
View test location
Reason(s) for failure

Offside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)

What are failures?
Date tested 19 January 2012
Pass
Mileage 116,445 miles
MOT test number 3067 3961 2043
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 20 January 2013
Advisory notice item(s)

offside rear tyre on legal limit

What are advisories?
Date tested 21 January 2011
Pass
Mileage 112,234 miles
MOT test number 7079 3112 1029
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 20 January 2012
Date tested 17 January 2011
Fail
Mileage 112,234 miles
MOT test number 5064 0701 1084
Test location
View test location
Reason(s) for failure

Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f) Dangerous

Advisory notice item(s)

offside outer chassis outrigger corroded.
offside headlamp glass holed
nearside rearsill corroded

What are failures and advisories?
Date tested 19 January 2010
Pass
Mileage 108,098 miles
MOT test number 9226 4951 0028
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 18 January 2011
Date tested 14 January 2010
Fail
Mileage 108,040 miles
MOT test number 6200 9431 0090
Test location
View test location
Reason(s) for failure

Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
Nearside Rear Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)

Advisory notice item(s)

Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)

What are failures and advisories?
Date tested 6 January 2009
Pass
Mileage 102,368 miles
MOT test number 2011 7630 9070
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 7 January 2010
Advisory notice item(s)

Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
clutch slave cylinder leak

What are advisories?
Date tested 8 January 2008
Pass
Mileage 99,182 miles
MOT test number 9602 7870 8030
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 7 January 2009
Date tested 3 January 2007
Pass
Mileage 96,523 miles
MOT test number 4511 3330 7072
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 2 January 2008
Advisory notice item(s)

Offside Front Seat belt damaged but not affecting the operation of the belt (5.2.2a)
Offside Rear Seat belt damaged but not affecting the operation of the belt (5.2.2a)
Rear axle noisey when rear wheels spun

What are advisories?
Date tested 30 November 2005
Pass
Mileage 92,630 miles
MOT test number 3403 5463 5384
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 30 November 2006







Hardly been looked after properly has it??? :thinking: Many advisory items ignored until they have subsequently failed and the speedo/odometer is dead because it's not recording mileage any more.

Also the word you're looking for is principle, NOT principal. You should also be looking for some anger management as you clearly have a problem.

Rikvdub Aug 16th, 2021 20:00

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2762778)
Which engine does it have?

Sorry itís sold! And that just proves the rest wrong as Iíve just received the email confirmation.

Laird Scooby Aug 16th, 2021 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2762778)
Which engine does it have?

It's a B230, first reg'd June 1989 - not sure if it's K-Jet or carb.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.