Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any negative affects from oiled air filter installation? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321081)

ukvolvo Oct 31st, 2021 12:34

Any negative affects from oiled air filter installation?

Hi Everyone Happy Sunday,

As the title states i am curious about anyone reporting issues as a result of installing panel filters?

Newer vehicles definitely suffer from issues as the oil gets onto sensors like the maf further down the system long term. Long time since i have ran injection and such fancies haha

Any experience appreciated

Mick

griston64 Oct 31st, 2021 12:48

The general consensus on here is that 940 Turbo's perform best with the standard filter.

ukvolvo Oct 31st, 2021 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2781462)
The general consensus on here is that 940 Turbo's perform best with the standard filter.

Really is this perhaps because of what im saying?

Do people modify the airboxes to increase intake? I have heard there is a sneaky cold air feed on the wing behind it.

Laird Scooby Oct 31st, 2021 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukvolvo (Post 2781467)
Really is this perhaps because of what im saying?

Do people modify the airboxes to increase intake? I have heard there is a sneaky cold air feed on the wing behind it.

Oiled air filters aren't really the way to go unless you're planning on something like a K&N replacement panel filter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392259052853

That may or may not be the right one for your car, there are two different sizes available, that one fits my 760 which i think uses the same size as 940T models.

The cold air feed is there to be used in conjunction with the hot air feed from the exhaust manifold and is designed to give a constant air intake temperature. However the wax-stat that operates the diverter valve in the air intake usually fails in the hot position so you end up drawing in very hot air. There is a thread somewhere about these with some instructions about renewing the wax-stat but they're not cheap, they're fiddly to change and will eventually fail again. If i remember the name of the thread i'll find it and post a link.
I do know that the hot air feed from the exhaust carries a lot of airborne dirt/oil from the engine bay, hot air is moister than cold air so transmits the dirt more easily. It was turning my air filter black within a few months so i removed the hot air feed from the exhaust as it was also causing flooding and overheating of the fuel rails and inlet manifold.

JJD1 Oct 31st, 2021 14:16

This debate has been done to death on some of the biggest car forums in the world . Buy any Ferrari or porsche . Open the engine air filter box and see what inside. Chances are its a dry paper filter.

ukvolvo Oct 31st, 2021 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2781490)
Oiled air filters aren't really the way to go unless you're planning on something like a K&N replacement panel filter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392259052853

That may or may not be the right one for your car, there are two different sizes available, that one fits my 760 which i think uses the same size as 940T models.

The cold air feed is there to be used in conjunction with the hot air feed from the exhaust manifold and is designed to give a constant air intake temperature. However the wax-stat that operates the diverter valve in the air intake usually fails in the hot position so you end up drawing in very hot air. There is a thread somewhere about these with some instructions about renewing the wax-stat but they're not cheap, they're fiddly to change and will eventually fail again. If i remember the name of the thread i'll find it and post a link.
I do know that the hot air feed from the exhaust carries a lot of airborne dirt/oil from the engine bay, hot air is moister than cold air so transmits the dirt more easily. It was turning my air filter black within a few months so i removed the hot air feed from the exhaust as it was also causing flooding and overheating of the fuel rails and inlet manifold.

Sounds like its best binned anyway and ohhh yes i was only interested in a panel filter. No big cheesy heat soaked filters lol

ukvolvo Oct 31st, 2021 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJD1 (Post 2781492)
This debate has been done to death on some of the biggest car forums in the world . Buy any Ferrari or porsche . Open the engine air filter box and see what inside. Chances are its a dry paper filter.

I chose my side of the debate a very long time ago. I am just purely interested in if they damage MAF'S on 940's. I generally run cars so old its irrelevant. I am purely interested in maximum airflow through the standard airbox without detriment to the engine or ancillaries.

Technically these uprated style filters do filter less than paper which is why they can flow a little more. I care not for what the sale speel has to say about it as they filter well enough for me regardless haha

360beast Oct 31st, 2021 15:35

The standard 940 turbo Air box is cold air feed as standard so a standard filter is the best way to go, I replace mine on every service even if it has only done 3k miles as you can get them for about £4 from Euro Car Parts. There is no warm air feed etc in a turbo 940 air filter housing, I've gutted the excess plastic and foam padding from inside mine to give a more pronounced wastegate noise when I let off the throttle but that's about all you need for a mildly tuned 940.

Save your money and go through and service it properly as it will no doubt be leaking oil, the PCV probably won't have been cleaned out properly for a long time and if you want a decent mod then get rid of the useless camshaft it has as standard and go for an A, V, VX3, H or K cam or if you want to go more serious then an IPD turbo cam, I have the IPD cam in mine and it seriously wakes up the engine.

Hopefully that advice is of use :)

ukvolvo Oct 31st, 2021 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2781527)
The standard 940 turbo Air box is cold air feed as standard so a standard filter is the best way to go, I replace mine on every service even if it has only done 3k miles as you can get them for about £4 from Euro Car Parts. There is no warm air feed etc in a turbo 940 air filter housing, I've gutted the excess plastic and foam padding from inside mine to give a more pronounced wastegate noise when I let off the throttle but that's about all you need for a mildly tuned 940.

Save your money and go through and service it properly as it will no doubt be leaking oil, the PCV probably won't have been cleaned out properly for a long time and if you want a decent mod then get rid of the useless camshaft it has as standard and go for an A, V, VX3, H or K cam or if you want to go more serious then an IPD turbo cam, I have the IPD cam in mine and it seriously wakes up the engine.

Hopefully that advice is of use :)

Thanks it is buddy it all is , No cam changes yet though haha. I think i will do the same as you and clean airbox out and also look at adding additional air intake to the airbox. From my own personal experience its the more cool air the better within reason :cool:

TonyS9 Nov 1st, 2021 12:56

I run an oiled cone K&N in the 360 with B230FT, its extremely loud on the dump and you get alot of turbo noises. The younger lads love it, but I was going for the sleeper scene.
Other than that it runs fine, I havn't oiled it since I got it, seems dry enough and doesn't do alot of miles.