Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Polestar Upgrade (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316154)

Harvey1963 Apr 18th, 2021 17:12

Polestar Upgrade

I drive a 2011 XC70 D5 AWD with 90000 miles on the clock. Anyone had experience of getting the Polestar or RICA remap carried out on one of these cars? Looking for any advice, pros or cons.

Harvey1963 Jul 12th, 2021 12:18

Went for official Polestar upgrade

Went ahead and had the official Polestar upgrade carried out on the car by my local Volvo dealer. What a difference. I know on paper it only adds 25HP but the mid range torque is phenomenal. I cannot recommend enough.

The Thong Jul 12th, 2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey1963 (Post 2752732)
Went ahead and had the official Polestar upgrade carried out on the car by my local Volvo dealer. What a difference. I know on paper it only adds 25HP but the mid range torque is phenomenal. I cannot recommend enough.

It’s how these motors should be…. Glad to hear you’re happy with it.

TT

Tannaton Jul 27th, 2021 12:15

The P* maps also change the gearbox parameters and behaviour on some models and this helps a lot...

Familyman 90 Jul 27th, 2021 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey1963 (Post 2752732)

It's good, innit? I have it on my 185 - If memory serves it's about 205BHP and 450NM on mine, so about 22BHP and 50 torques on top of standard. That easily out grunts the wife's standard 200 which only has a piffling 420NM.

bondspice Oct 8th, 2021 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey1963 (Post 2729727)
I drive a 2011 XC70 D5 AWD with 90000 miles on the clock. Anyone had experience of getting the Polestar or RICA remap carried out on one of these cars? Looking for any advice, pros or cons.

i've one of these and i'm sorely tempted by the polestar upgrade. the way folk here are describing it, it's ideal.

Harvey1963 Oct 10th, 2021 10:10

You wont regret it. I know on paper it doesn't add that much in HP, but wow, it simply transforms the mid range grunt. I also tow a caravan for holiday's and it makes that totally effortless.

Cloth Ears Jun 20th, 2022 11:21

I read on here somewhere that the Polestar upgrade boosts power and torque, and remaps the Geartronic which also helps driveability. But I also read somewhere that if you get the Polestar optimisation done on an AWD car, it biases the AWD more towards the rear drive, which makes the car feel more agile but keeping the AWD benefits.

I haven't seen this mentioned on the Polestar blurb I've been able to find. Is this perhaps a newer innovation on the current models, or does this happen with older AWD models too? Mine is a 2017MY (66 plate) V60 Cross Country AWD and if the Polestar optimisation does the power/torque thing, the geartronic remap, and also rebalances drive a bit more to the rear bias, that'd probably make this pretty much my ideal Volvo! So I'm sorely tempted, but not sure if it delivers all these things for my car. Anybody know?

Harvey1963 Jun 20th, 2022 11:28

The upgrade is amazing. So much better, amazing mid range torque. It is my understanding however that it is only the newer models that also get a gearing upgrade although thought your might be included in that. i'd speak to a dealer.

Harvey1963 Jun 20th, 2022 11:29

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-490935/2017

Harvey1963 Jun 20th, 2022 11:31

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-499454/2017

Harvey1963 Jun 20th, 2022 11:34

https://engineered.polestar.com/uk/

Cloth Ears Jun 20th, 2022 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey1963 (Post 2830195)

That seems to suggest it's only the SPA and CMA platforms, ie more recent than mine :sad_smile:

Ulrikas PA Jun 21st, 2022 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloth Ears (Post 2830191)
I read on here somewhere that the Polestar upgrade boosts power and torque, and remaps the Geartronic which also helps driveability. But I also read somewhere that if you get the Polestar optimisation done on an AWD car, it biases the AWD more towards the rear drive, which makes the car feel more agile

I had it done on my 2017MY V60 diesel hybrid, but don't think it did anything to the AWD.
However, that maybe because the RWD is from the battery ISG rather than a Haldex?

On saying that, I can definitely get the back end to swing out if you floor the accelerator with a bit of steering lock in Power mode, and all 470 lb/ft is deployed at once. Safe but unexpected !

MikeGMT Jun 25th, 2022 14:18

1 Attachment(s)
This maybe of interest, and answer a few of your questions!

Attachment 141892

Cloth Ears Jun 27th, 2022 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGMT (Post 2830975)
This maybe of interest, and answer a few of your questions!

Attachment 141892

Thanks, and as suspected, it doesn't work on my previous-gen V60CC. I presume it's down to not having different driving modes like 'dynamic' so there's nothing in the ECU that can be reprogrammed, and probably the Haldex diff isn't electronically controlled so can't be tweaked. Or something.

Ulrikas PA Jun 27th, 2022 21:44

Useful press release.

It says about the hybrids being read-biased already because of the battery power only to the rear axle. Logically that sounds the same for the previous gen V60 hybrid, as it drives more weighty at the back end.

Volvocano Aug 2nd, 2022 20:43

I hope you considered a transmission oil change to go with all that extra torque.

Ulrikas PA Aug 2nd, 2022 23:21

No, it's a Volvo upgrade and the car itself is under a Volvo warranty.

It's not really a car that you either need or want to thrash much, but it's a worthwhile boost over standard.

FreddieC73 Aug 3rd, 2022 07:14

Rica and Polestar tuning

I had the RICA on a S80 D5 (185 bhp) and the polestar on a V90 D5 (235 bhp). Although the RICA was on the paper increasing power more than the Polestar, the effect of the Polestar on the drivetrain settings (gearbox, AWD) was a completely different game. It felt like the RICA increased just turbo boost, the car was “going more”, but it made turbo lag more evident. The Polestar was simply impressive, the car was driving differently. Add that it was difficult (two big insurance companies said no) and eventually expensive (premium more than doubled) to insure the car after the RICA tuning, while the Polestar tuning did non increase the cost of the insurance, and to me it is a no brainer: the Polestar tuning may cost more upfront, but in the long term is more cost effective and more fun. Despite both promising improved MPG, in reality MPG did not change in normal use, and was significantly worse if the extra power was used. I am no expert, but extra bhp and better MPG seem to good to be true…
I am, however, unsure whether the Polestar tuning will affect your drivetrain settings or simply the engine- I think the drivetrain is affected from 2018. Worth checking before deciding.

Easington Aug 16th, 2022 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloth Ears (Post 2830191)
I read on here somewhere that the Polestar upgrade boosts power and torque, and remaps the Geartronic which also helps driveability. But I also read somewhere that if you get the Polestar optimisation done on an AWD car, it biases the AWD more towards the rear drive, which makes the car feel more agile but keeping the AWD benefits.

I haven't seen this mentioned on the Polestar blurb I've been able to find. Is this perhaps a newer innovation on the current models, or does this happen with older AWD models too? Mine is a 2017MY (66 plate) V60 Cross Country AWD and if the Polestar optimisation does the power/torque thing, the geartronic remap, and also rebalances drive a bit more to the rear bias, that'd probably make this pretty much my ideal Volvo! So I'm sorely tempted, but not sure if it delivers all these things for my car. Anybody know?

I have the same car as you and having the Polestar Optimisation fitted made it a lot more driveable and responsive. I can't confirm if it alters the AWD at all but in sport mode it feels very rapid.

Feels a lot more different afterwards than my previous S60 D5 did

John Rimmer Sep 25th, 2022 12:30

Hello,
I'm thinking of a remap or perhaps a TDI kit - i tow a caravan so the added +NM would help. Does anyone know if there is also a fuel saving benefit, TDi kits promise this but don't back it up with facts from what i can remember.