Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   how do you reset the service indicator message? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119464)

bobdabuilda Mar 15th, 2011 23:18

how do you reset the service indicator message?

On audis there's a little trick to do this using the odometer, does anyone know if there's a similar trick on the xc90 or is it vida only?

owenfackrell Mar 16th, 2011 08:02

There is a way of doing it. It some thing like hold down the tip reset with the ignition in I and then turn it to II whilst keeping it pressed and wait unti the yellow triangle flashes at which point let go and the message should have reset. thats from memory and i stand to be corrected.

Banzai Mar 16th, 2011 08:27

1 Attachment(s)
The above post looks similar to this attachment which I found a while ago which might be useful.

I have never needed to use it so I can't confirm if it is correct or works.

bobdabuilda Mar 16th, 2011 09:19

Thanks but it doesn't work on mine.

Oddly when you put key in the ignition -press and hold the odometer button then turn to position I and wait 5 seconds there is a beep sound and then when you turn to II the display shows 167 and then 045 before changing back to normal. Anyone know what these codes are?

Damn service indicator is still showing though!

400-ascona Mar 16th, 2011 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 864411)
Thanks but it doesn't work on mine.

Oddly when you put key in the ignition -press and hold the odometer button then turn to position I and wait 5 seconds there is a beep sound and then when you turn to II the display shows 167 and then 045 before changing back to normal. Anyone know what these codes are?

Damn service indicator is still showing though!

What I found when googled:

AH! The light goes on. That's a service message not a fault. For the life of us here in the shop, we've never been able to find the literature telling us what the heck the messages mean when resetting. VIDA has no information about them. We were told years ago that it had to do with the selections for service interval reminders set in the driver information module, but there are no instructions to that effect. Another typical one on the older S80's was "65". Nothing else, just the number "65". Even if you reset the transmission oil counter with the VIDA cart, it won't go off. The only thing I can suggest is that next time you have it at the dealer, tell them to reset the counters for fluid intervals.

Wish there was a master list that I could point you towards.

How do I cancel this message please s I find it irritating seeing for 6 months.

Peter

Accepted Answer

Is your "time for regular service" message staying on? The procedure for resetting is to put the key in position "I", hold the trip reset button and turn the key to position "II". Hold it until the warning light flashes. It should reset your service reminder, but after you reset it you may see that "045" afterwards. The service message shouldn't come on after that again except at startup.

If the message won't go away, you're going to have to take it to a dealer and have them perform a DIM (driver information module) upgrade. That will make the functions do what they are supposed to. You may have a software glitch with your reset function currently. Performing the software upgrade fixes it.

I couldn't access any of the advice on 167 due to internet restrictions at work. Just give it a Google.
Rob

Ron_XC90 Mar 16th, 2011 12:30

I posted this a while back and seems to have worked for some people:

1. Turn the key to position one
2. Push in the button for the trip meter, turn on the ignition (you should still press the button).
- Now it differ from if you have service lamp or service message.

Car with lamp: Release the button when service lamp start to flash.

Car with message: Release the button when the triangular warning sign start to flash.

To check
Turn off the ignition, turn it on again and start the engine. If the service message or lamp not have disappeared, start from the beginning again.

bobdabuilda Mar 16th, 2011 12:52

I persisted with various permutations and found that mine worked by doing

key to position I

then press and hold odometer button

turn key to II and wait for the triangle to start flashing before releasing it whilst still flashing.

It makes a beep sound and the message disappears!

Sweet. Thanks all.

Jim314 Mar 16th, 2011 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 864565)
I persisted with various permutations and found that mine worked by doing

key to position I

then press and hold odometer button

turn key to II and wait for the triangle to start flashing before releasing it whilst still flashing.

It makes a beep sound and the message disappears!

Sweet. Thanks all.

Thanks. I just tried this on my wife's US spec 2007 XC90 and it turned off the service needed message.

jtaw45 Mar 16th, 2011 15:11

I use the same method on my xc90 and s80,it doesn't always work first time but never usually takes more than 3 goes.

harvey07 Jul 30th, 2011 15:57

Worked first time for me...but no beep.

Cheers guys.