Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Sensus Map Update Failed, now blocked by OTA update (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338510)

jackass Mar 1st, 2024 20:06

Sensus Map Update Failed, now blocked by OTA update

I downloaded the full Europe map update to a USB stick as the OTA update of North West Europe had failed to install.

I plugged my USB stick in and sat in the car with the ignition on (and a battery charger attached) for about an hour. The update reached about 96% complete and then the infotainment decided to turn itself off.

I started the engine and the update restarted, but the bonnet was open and so i had a constant warning tone. I made the mistake of getting out to close the bonnet which obviously turned everything off - the update was at 99%.

Now when I get in the car it tells me navigation is unavailable and to install with USB. Unfortunately before the USB is connected it "starts" the OTA update which is then paused. When the USB connects or if I insert after Sensus has finished booting I get a "Map update busy, try again later".

I've tried a factory reset and I've disabled the Car modem,.but the OTA update is stubbornly staying put.

Any advice? Will a dealer actually be able to fix it?

Clan Mar 1st, 2024 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackass (Post 2938692)
I downloaded the full Europe map update to a USB stick as the OTA update of North West Europe had failed to install.

I plugged my USB stick in and sat in the car with the ignition on (and a battery charger attached) for about an hour. The update reached about 96% complete and then the infotainment decided to turn itself off.

I started the engine and the update restarted, but the bonnet was open and so i had a constant warning tone. I made the mistake of getting out to close the bonnet which obviously turned everything off - the update was at 99%.

Now when I get in the car it tells me navigation is unavailable and to install with USB. Unfortunately before the USB is connected it "starts" the OTA update which is then paused. When the USB connects or if I insert after Sensus has finished booting I get a "Map update busy, try again later".

I've tried a factory reset and I've disabled the Car modem,.but the OTA update is stubbornly staying put.

Any advice? Will a dealer actually be able to fix it?

did you do the map when parked up? you must put a 14.5 volt 25 Amp power supply on to keep the systems going.. The easiest way is do it whilst you are driving around, it will stop when you do and carry on where it left off next journey . try that it might recover.

jackass Mar 2nd, 2024 10:23

I did do it when parked with a charger connected. Probably not 14.5V though.

However, this is a little moot - I have driven the car twice since then and both times a message has popped up saying navigation unavailable reinstall from USB or visit retailer and then another message pops up saying Europe NW installing (which is the OTA update that wasn't working). The navigation pane says install paused.

If I put the USB update in the slot it says "Map Update Busy, Try Later" - given that the OTA update is paused this seems like an infinite loop.

Basill Mar 2nd, 2024 10:56

Have you unticked automatic update for the map? This stopped the OTA for me and allowed the USB to go through recently when there was a bit of a mess up with OTA maps.

jackass Mar 2nd, 2024 11:04

Unfortunately now there is no map installed the Maps section of the software update app is completely empty.

jackass Mar 22nd, 2024 19:24

Spent 4 hours at the dealer on Tuesday. They haven't succeeded in fixing it. Now just waiting for Volvo to provide some technical help.

SmartMAC Mar 25th, 2024 10:56

I also spent 3 hours on Friday trying to get the software updated on my V60 as Sensus is not connecting to the internet service. They said they could not connect the car to do a system update so they are checking with Volvo for solutions.

denzo Mar 29th, 2024 18:08

I downloaded the NW Europe maps to a clean USB and inserted into the USB port with the white box surround in my V90. Drove to work (about 45 minutes), left the USB in place and drove home later in the day, about 15 minutes from home the screen said the install was complete and to leave the car and turn off.
I left the USB in the slot, left the car overnight and the following morning when I turned on the ignition the successful install was confirmed.

jackass Apr 30th, 2024 06:12

Car spent another day at the dealer yesterday and is now sorted.

Required the software/firmware for the IHU to be reloaded, which was fortunately covered by warranty.