Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   aux belt without ac (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131339)

bunnysquasher Aug 9th, 2011 13:31

aux belt without ac

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I've got a 97 V70 T5, and it just sailed through an mot with only a bulb needing to be replaced woo hoo!

and now for the bad news, I've traced a nasty grinding sound to the air con pump, the air con never really worked anyway so I'd like to remove it / by pass it.

My belt routing is as the picture, but this means that a shorter belt is not the answer, were these available without ac? I've not been able to find a diagram for a non ac belt routing.

Attachment 37793

If anyone has done this or has any ideas please let me know. many thanks

Kyle

bunnysquasher Aug 9th, 2011 17:34

1 Attachment(s)
Well I've come up with this using a 1250mm belt, still not sure if it's right so if anyone could confirm that would be great.

Otherwise cheers anyway and I'll update if it causes any problems.

Attachment 37796

Clan Aug 9th, 2011 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnysquasher (Post 962475)
Well I've come up with this using a 1250mm belt, still not sure if it's right so if anyone could confirm that would be great.

Otherwise cheers anyway and I'll update if it causes any problems.

Attachment 37796

That is no good , there is not enough belt in contact with the alternator pulley , look at the original way to see what i mean . The belt will skid over the pulley and cause rapid wear ..

why don't you just get a used pump via E-Bay for about £50 or less , nothing better than AC except for an engine and 4 wheels !

bunnysquasher Aug 9th, 2011 19:37

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 962486)
That is no good , there is not enough belt in contact with the alternator pulley , look at the original way to see what i mean . The belt will skid over the pulley and cause rapid wear ..

why don't you just get a used pump via E-Bay for about £50 or less , nothing better than AC except for an engine and 4 wheels !

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I know what your saying about less contact on the alternator pulley, from what I think I have found, the belt used to be routed as the picture below before it was updated to get more contact on the alternator pulley. I figured that if it was once produced like this, and short of another idea, it would work for at least a while.

I'd like to know what the official arrangement is for non ac cars.

Cheers

Attachment 37797 (apparently this picture is from a 1995 850)

I love AC too, but it has other leak(s) as well and money is tight.

T4Rick Aug 9th, 2011 19:45

Hi mate ive just removed my ac tonight as dont plan on using it.Im going to halfords tomorrow to get a belt so i will let you no what part number it is :thumbs_up:

T4Rick Aug 9th, 2011 19:50

What do you use to move the tensioner lol carnt see anything to put a socket on it.

bunnysquasher Aug 9th, 2011 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Rick (Post 962535)
What do you use to move the tensioner lol carnt see anything to put a socket on it.

Hi, the end of the tensioner arm is square, I put a spanner on it from the wheel arch.

T4Rick Aug 9th, 2011 20:30

Nice i will keep you updated with my finds:thumbs_up:

T4Rick Aug 10th, 2011 19:52

So far i have a belt that just to long or two short:stormy:

The Edge Aug 10th, 2011 19:56

I had to do this with my 850. It was only a 2l 20v but they did do a belt for a model without AC.

Fitted, problem solved. I just went to GSF and asked for the non AC belt.