Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spare parts Kit (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321423)

Simon703 Nov 12th, 2021 17:00

Spare parts Kit

I’ve recently acquired a 1962 P1800 and starting to think about outings next year. Already booked a long weekend in Wales and this got me to think I should carry some spare parts. I suspect if I call out the AA they may be short of easy access to what I may need.
What do you think I should carry so that the AA can sort the repair at the side of the road? You’ve probably already guessed- my skills and knowledge would extend to changing a whee, just!!!

Volvo_133 Nov 12th, 2021 17:22

parts

I have a 1970 Amazon though the spares carried should be similar.
Fan belt, radiator top and bottom hose, petrol pump, distributor cap, condenser points and rotor arm, fuses. Insulation tape, ty-raps.
I have gone over the top and also carry a clutch cable, coil, distributor with new cap, points and condenser which has had the timing set and tested ready to bolt in.
I also carry tools, crimp lugs and a cheap multi meter as my plan is to self fix if possible.
Obviously the AA should carry the basics, but i believe my first paragraph is a must and you wont need a trailer full of parts!.

Moomoo Nov 12th, 2021 17:33

I'd carry: a fan belt, dizzy cap and leads, a set of spark plugs, one or two of each bulb, a litre of oil, two litres of 50:50 antifreeze, set of points,( better to go pointless), a can of K seal,rad cap and a can of duck oil((for damp ingress).
Cloth and hand wipes.

Can't wait to hear what I've forgotten!!:eek:

P.S. Jealous.:teeth_smile:

Simon703 Nov 12th, 2021 17:40

Thanks 133 and Moomoo, could start a competition going::teeth_smile:

I should had mentioned I’d like my wife and I to fit in the car as well as the spares kit:teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

arcturus Nov 13th, 2021 13:39

If you check all your hoses and belts before you set off you won't need them.

morwenna240 Nov 13th, 2021 21:14

The Volvo is basically a properly designed an made car, up to the end of 9 series. If u make sure everything is in good order, all the ancillaries are less than 15 yrs old, you won't need a vast spares kit. A decent handful of tools, a wire coat hanger for failed exhaust rubbers, an you can go anywhere UK mainland. Round the world, a continental trip, carry some obvious spares. Bon voyage!

Burdekin Nov 14th, 2021 08:47

Add fuel pump and filter to the list.

arcturus Nov 14th, 2021 09:49

And don't forget a tow bar for the trailer you will need to carry all the spare parts!
Since summer I have made three trips in my 1960 PV544,totaling just under 10,000km.Only spare part need was a replacement fuel hose which I should have replaced beforehand any way. Just do a normal service and inspection.Make sure you have a wheel brace ,jack and properly inflated spare tire.Before I forget,a couple of spare condensers for the dizy,these are guaranteed to fail!

grumpydad Nov 14th, 2021 16:44

Hi
I must agree with Arcturus if your car is serviced properly why would you need to carry any thing ?
did you drive round with a boot full of spare parts when it was new ?

142 Guy Nov 14th, 2021 16:55

I am going to line up in the row behind Arcturus on this topic.

If you are tempted to purchase any spare parts, install them before you take the trip. Saves you the inconvenience of having to do the repair on the road if by some freak chance they do happen to be the part that fails. If you don't know the age / condition of the rubber parts on your car (coolant and fuel hoses and belts) you should be replacing those on a preventative basis rather than thinking about a road side repair. Some basic tools in addition to the tire change stuff (screwdrivers / pliers / adjustable spanner) with some add on bits like a length of wire, replacement fuses, light bulbs, some electrical tape and some plastic tie wraps might be useful and don't take up significant space.

Driving a vintage car is always a bit of an adventure. If you need to have a high probability of no adventure, better off to use a Honda to get to your destination.