Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 AC : No Leaks just not working cold (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317641)

12V50D3Auto Jun 16th, 2021 17:01

No Leaks just not working cold

Have an issue with my12 D3, not blowing cold air, its not leaking as gas is still present in the system, is it possible to use parts from other volvo's ie. xc90 etc

Also where is the AC unit located if I wanted to take a picture to compare with 2nd hand parts on shelves or ebay.

exmpa Jun 16th, 2021 18:09

It was a long time ago, but my V50 suddenly started to deliver nothing but hot air. It was midsummer and made things quite uncomfortable. Took it to the dealer who investigated and rectified the fault. Apparently it was all down to a faulty component in the driver’s seat heater control. Hard to believe maybe and I’ve no idea why it was configured that way but everything worked alright afterwards.

Exmpa

Brione Jun 16th, 2021 19:10

Low pressure.

If the pressure falls to a low level, it stops the compressor from kicking in. So while there might be gas in the system, maybe just not enough. I'd get it checked to see it has enough refrigerant in?

Cheers

12V50D3Auto Jun 16th, 2021 19:42

yeah there was 430g of refrigerant in before they refilled, its got 530g now and still not blowing cold. Drivers seat heater control! damn.. more complicated than I thought.

cheshired5 Jun 16th, 2021 19:53

Is the compressor clutch engaging?
Warm air with a working clutch is quite different to warm air and a static clutch which doesn't reliably engage.

Markos01 Jun 17th, 2021 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2745641)
Is the compressor clutch engaging?
Warm air with a working clutch is quite different to warm air and a static clutch which doesn't reliably engage.

This. A few people add shims to ensure it engages as over time the gap grows and it stops engaging. Usually it's an intermittent fault that gets worse. Think the gap needs be around 0.3-0.5mm IIRC? Some have used cable ties even. Worth searching on this forum and elsewhere as it's potentially a DIY job.

FunkyMelon Jun 17th, 2021 17:14

Yep, about to undertake this task myself as periodically when driving around town the air con stops, I assume due to lack of airflow to keep the compressor cool.

When on the motorway it's fine and doesn't cut out. Need to check the clutch gap and shim (if needed).

IainG Jun 17th, 2021 17:14

Hi
My Air con was playing up, not cold all the time. I blew the dust from the cabin temperature sensor with an air line and all seemed to work again.
I then recalibrated the CCM through Vida, just because I had it plugged in at the time.
The air con stopped working, Quick panic.
Recalibrated the CCM again and all was well.
I assume the main problem was dust in the cabin temp sensor however the recalibration might have helped as well.
Worth a quick blast of air line?
Iain

neanderthal Jun 18th, 2021 08:37

cabin temperature sensor

hi,IainG do you have a picture of where this is i dont have an air line and may need to remove it but would you know if i have one on my volvo v50 2.0d 2007 thanks

IainG Jun 18th, 2021 11:30

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Just to the left of the waterfall.
I gave up trying to work out how to remove it, hence the airline!
The little grill to the left of the waterfall unit.
I believe it has a thermister and a little fan in the unit behind the grill.
Iain