Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Headlight Failure Service Required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271850)

Voltan Aug 21st, 2017 11:06

Headlight Failure Service Required

My XC60 MY11 is showing a warning message stating "Headlight Failure Service Required". An orange warning light also is displayed, indicating a malfunction of the ABL system. The lights work correctly in all other respects.

Does anyone have any experience of this fault. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

wimorrison Aug 21st, 2017 11:26

had this on the last XC60 and the temporary cure was to disable the bending of the headlights until a fix could be done. You get to this through the menu structure (can recall where)

the permanent fix was for the sensors on the rear wheels to be replaced - the fault had something to do with sensor not seeing the difference is wheel speed rotation therefore it dont know how much to bend the headlights. IIRC the load sensor was also faulty which meant the auto-levelling was was malfunctioning and this also affect the ABL unit as that is what provides the autolevelling.

You need to get the codes read to see exactly which module is at fault.

Voltan Aug 21st, 2017 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 2310803)
had this on the last XC60 and the temporary cure was to disable the bending of the headlights until a fix could be done. You get to this through the menu structure (can recall where)

the permanent fix was for the sensors on the rear wheels to be replaced - the fault had something to do with sensor not seeing the difference is wheel speed rotation therefore it dont know how much to bend the headlights. IIRC the load sensor was also faulty which meant the auto-levelling was was malfunctioning and this also affect the ABL unit as that is what provides the autolevelling.

You need to get the codes read to see exactly which module is at fault.

Thanks for that. It is useful to have some idea before committing to the garage. The self-levelling still works on mine, it is only the ABL that is faulty. This fault isn't covered by my WD warranty, unfortunately.

I had a look through the menus but couldn't find an option to disable the ABL but I'll look again.

Voltan Aug 21st, 2017 19:37

I found the menu item to disable the ABL but the check mark reappears immediately after it has been set to be inactive, i.e. it will not deactivate. I recall now that the Sensus system was misbehaving as it was not showing the cabin temperature settings on the journey before the ABL error appeared. The temperature readings did return on restarting the engine, when the ABL fault first became apparent, so perhaps the ABL fault only needs a harder reboot of the system. (Wishful thinking)

volvo for ever Aug 22nd, 2017 06:52

hi had this once before it said to replace headlamp unit did this by donnoring one didnt help ,i disconected the earth from battery then reconnected it it cured it ,,worth a try .ill try look upo what codes i had logged see if same as yourregards

Voltan Aug 22nd, 2017 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo for ever (Post 2311086)
hi had this once before it said to replace headlamp unit did this by donnoring one didnt help ,i disconected the earth from battery then reconnected it it cured it ,,worth a try .ill try look upo what codes i had logged see if same as yourregards

I think that does sound a worth shot as I suspect the software. Will I need a radio code after reconnecting though?

Voltan Aug 22nd, 2017 19:31

Discovered I don't need any code. I've tried disconnecting the earth and leaving it disconnected for a few minutes before reconnecting but unfortunately the error message returned.

I've booked it into the garage for a diagnosis next Monday, so will have to wait and see what the damage is.

It would be really useful to have the codes if you can manage it "Volvo for Ever". Thanks

Voltan Aug 29th, 2017 18:19

Had my ABL fixed. As suggested, it was the sensor on the rear axle, which unfortunately, was not covered by my WD Extracover warranty. As luck would have it, it would have been covered by my Extensive component Volvo warranty that expired at the end of June. According to the garage, it's not a common failure but it is a fairly expensive one as the part is the best part of £100's.

CounterSpell Jul 19th, 2018 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltan (Post 2313384)
Had my ABL fixed. As suggested, it was the sensor on the rear axle, which unfortunately, was not covered by my WD Extracover warranty. As luck would have it, it would have been covered by my Extensive component Volvo warranty that expired at the end of June. According to the garage, it's not a common failure but it is a fairly expensive one as the part is the best part of £100's.

you mean: the ABS rear sensor?

MikeIOW Jan 29th, 2019 15:34

Thread resurrection!

I've had the "Headlamp system malfunction Service required" message spring up a few days back :(
Lights *appear* to work normally. I also have a MotorEasy Warranty, although as with many, they exclude lamps and bulbs....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltan (Post 2313384)

I vaguely recall having something similar on a Saab many years back (with Xenon lamps - not quite the Active Main Beam magic in my XC60), & it being a sensor which listed at a few £100 (think the garage got a reconditioned one for me!)

Not sure whether my cover will include such a sensor - wording is of course not specific enough, although it does cover "All electrical components
(including electronic components and electronic control units)"

Guess I need to book it in to be looked at first....anyone else here had this, & got an idea of the cost of fixing!?