Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: Window power relay - location (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=232799)

Clifford Pope Jul 9th, 2015 08:04

Window power relay - location

I have just wasted a lot of time lying under the dashboard trying to find this relay. According to an old thread it is one of a row of 4 relays clipped to a metal rail just above the heater controls, and is the one on the left.
After a frustrating struggle to remove enough heater ducting etc to get my hand in to extract this relay, I found out it is the wrong one.

The window relay is actually on the right, just behind the removeable plastic shroud to the left of the clutch pedal. No other dismantling is necessary, although pulling off the plastic vent duct is useful. Once unclipped, the relay can dangle clear so that it can be unplugged from it's holder, and the wire colours identified.

I just thought this might be useful.
I wanted to bridge the red and brown wires so that the windows can be operated without needing to turn the ignition on.
Yes, I know there is a risk if you leave small children playing with the controls that they could guilotine themselves, but for the rest of us, it is extremely irritating having to put the key back in to close a window just as you are getting out. Also on a hot day it's useful to be able to wind the windows down the moment you get in.
If this is really a necessary safety feature then wiring in a master switch would serve the purpose.

tannachyallen Jul 9th, 2015 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope (Post 1944086)
I wanted to bridge the red and brown wires so that the windows can be operated without needing to turn the ignition on..............

Genius!!! :)

Dave A

Phil240GLE Jan 8th, 2023 09:31

Window relay

I wish I’d have read Clifford’s post before reenacting all he had been through. Extremely useful and thanks Clifford!

Big 240 Jan 10th, 2023 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope (Post 1944086)
I have just wasted a lot of time lying under the dashboard trying to find this relay. According to an old thread it is one of a row of 4 relays clipped to a metal rail just above the heater controls, and is the one on the left.
After a frustrating struggle to remove enough heater ducting etc to get my hand in to extract this relay, I found out it is the wrong one.

The window relay is actually on the right, just behind the removeable plastic shroud to the left of the clutch pedal. No other dismantling is necessary, although pulling off the plastic vent duct is useful. Once unclipped, the relay can dangle clear so that it can be unplugged from it's holder, and the wire colours identified.

I just thought this might be useful.
I wanted to bridge the red and brown wires so that the windows can be operated without needing to turn the ignition on.
Yes, I know there is a risk if you leave small children playing with the controls that they could guilotine themselves, but for the rest of us, it is extremely irritating having to put the key back in to close a window just as you are getting out. Also on a hot day it's useful to be able to wind the windows down the moment you get in.
If this is really a necessary safety feature then wiring in a master switch would serve the purpose.

How did you bridge the points? And the relays clipped along behind the heater panel, is one of them the heated rear window relay?