Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wanted 145 estate (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327214)

Wolvesbully Aug 20th, 2022 11:23

Wanted 145 estate

Hi all recently joined the forum and I’m looking to buy a 145 estate preferably a runner but something that has stood a while might interest me but don’t want to go as far as dragging something out of a field
Thanks in anticipation Mick

Wolvesbully Aug 21st, 2022 20:14

Rest seat belts

Hi just a general question from a newbie I’ve just been looking at a video of a 145 1972 estate on a car auction site from the video I couldn’t see if it had rear seat belts I know Volvo were ahead of the game on safety can someone confirm if a 72 car would have had rear belts

john.wigley Aug 21st, 2022 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolvesbully (Post 2841147)
Hi just a general question from a newbie I’ve just been looking at a video of a 145 1972 estate on a car auction site from the video I couldn’t see if it had rear seat belts I know Volvo were ahead of the game on safety can someone confirm if a 72 car would have had rear belts

Hello, 'Wolvesbully', The 1972 145 was not fitted with rear seat belts as standard. They are, however, equipped with the mounting points, so retro-fitring should not be an issue.

If my memory serves me correctly, the first Volvo to be fitted with rear seat belts as standard was the 1976 two series. Surprisingly, very early two series cars (we had a '75 'N' reg.) were not so equipped.

Regards, John.

Moomoo Aug 21st, 2022 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2841151)
Hello, 'Wolvesbully', The 1972 145 was not fitted with rear seat belts as standard. They are, however, equipped with the mounting points, so retro-fitring should not be an issue.

If my memory serves me correctly, the first Volvo to be fitted with rear seat belts as standard was the 1976 two series. Surprisingly, very early two series cars (we had a '75 'N' reg.) were not so equipped.

Regards, John.

I was always lead to believe Volvo pioneered the the 3 point seat belt but altruistically chose not to patent it.🤔

john.wigley Aug 22nd, 2022 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2841165)
I was always lead to believe Volvo pioneered the the 3 point seat belt but altruistically chose not to patent it.🤔

Mmmm ... I believe that was so, 'Moomoo'.

IIRC, Volvo standardised the fitting of front seat belts as early as 1959 - a full six years before they became mandatory in new cars in the UK and much longer before their use became compulsory. I think rear seat belts did not become a compulsory fitment in the UK until 1983, so in 1976 Volvo were well ahead of the field there, too.

Again if memory serves, my 1960 Mini van was not fitted with mounting points, while my 1962 car had front, but not rear, mounting points as standard. Seat belts were an optional extra on new cars at that time, and available as aftermarket accessories for home fitting from the likes of Halfords and other such outlets.

We have come a long way in that area at least in the last half century or so.

Regards, John.

Wolvesbully Aug 22nd, 2022 08:33

Rear seat belts

John thanks for the information as you say shouldn’t be to bad to fit them our kids wouldn’t let the grandkids go in the car without seat belts. I’m still thinking of making a bid if it isn’t sold it didn’t make it’s reserve on Saturday but I think auction costs and shipping will make it an expensive car. Anyway thanks again for the info a little bid more in the memory bank
Regards Mick