Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Passenger door mirror not returning to preset position (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317612)

KFCKFC Jun 15th, 2021 00:28

Passenger door mirror not returning to preset position

Hi All, I hoping someone can help with an intermittent issue I am having with the passenger side door mirror. I have activated the convenience feature to angle the door mirror down when I engage reverse to avoid kerbing the wheels. When I then take up drive the mirror should return to the normal driving position. Of late (in the last two days) I have had 3 instances where the mirror does not return to the normal position, it just stays in the reverse position. Has anyone had and resolved this issued? Thanks.

nu11eaf Jun 16th, 2021 11:11

2 Attachment(s)
Try this,
Attachment 135892
Or if that fails try this,
Attachment 135893

Sorry, I am used to my Landrover Defender and its tool kit.

Lozzingers Jun 16th, 2021 11:32

Hi,
I've had what I thought was a similar problem, as often when I set off they are half down and I have to press the buttons to angle them normally.
I actually have figured out that if I am reversing into a spot/our car port, I often go into park from reverse, and turn off the engine immediately. The mirrors are often slowly going back to their usual forward facing spot.
I have to wait a few seconds now after reversing prior to switching off the engine.
Could this be your issue too by chance?
L

Chudy85 Jun 16th, 2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozzingers (Post 2745511)
Hi,
I've had what I thought was a similar problem, as often when I set off they are half down and I have to press the buttons to angle them normally.
I actually have figured out that if I am reversing into a spot/our car port, I often go into park from reverse, and turn off the engine immediately. The mirrors are often slowly going back to their usual forward facing spot.
I have to wait a few seconds now after reversing prior to switching off the engine.
L

That was exactly what I wanted to write but I have checked that on my car just now and apparently mirrors coming back to starting position even if engine has been switched off.

KFCKFC Jun 16th, 2021 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2745507)
Try this,
Attachment 135892
Or if that fails try this,
Attachment 135893

Sorry, I am used to my Landrover Defender and its tool kit.

Can't use the 2nd option. I'll hurt myself :regular_smile:

KFCKFC Jun 16th, 2021 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozzingers (Post 2745511)
Hi,
L

I have checked by waiting, even driving forwarded a bit. I can see the mirror initiate the the start of the 'return to normal' position but stops mid-process. I would go to the dealer but the issue is intermittent.

Chudy85 Jun 16th, 2021 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFCKFC (Post 2745539)
I have checked by waiting, even driving forwarded a bit. I can see the mirror initiate the the start of the 'return to normal' position but stops mid-process. I would go to the dealer but the issue is intermittent.

From my experience every time I go to dealer with intermittent issue i hear from them they couldn't reproduce the problem ;(

met24 Jun 23rd, 2021 11:47

My 2019 V90's nearside mirror would get very confused in the wet -- after a good shower or being washed. It'd go down, then start angling left and right as if it had lost its calibration and was trying to realign itself. Marshalls in MK had a look and reckoned it needed a new motor, which was fitted (under warranty, yay!) on Monday in about 45 minutes, and of course it's been lovely weather since then.

Is this on your 2020 car? I'm guessing that's still under warranty? Throw a bucket of water at it and see if it still misbehaves (or if that makes it misbehave) then get the dealer to have a butchers.

Now if I could only find this clonking from somewhere inside the cabin. (No, it's not the nut holding the steering wheel, he just creaks and groans!)

KFCKFC Jun 23rd, 2021 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by met24 (Post 2747533)
My 2019 V90's nearside mirror would get very confused in the wet -- after a good shower or being washed. It'd go down, then start angling left and right as if it had lost its calibration and was trying to realign itself. Marshalls in MK had a look and reckoned it needed a new motor, which was fitted (under warranty, yay!) on Monday in about 45 minutes, and of course it's been lovely weather since then.

Is this on your 2020 car? I'm guessing that's still under warranty? Throw a bucket of water at it and see if it still misbehaves (or if that makes it misbehave) then get the dealer to have a butchers.

Now if I could only find this clonking from somewhere inside the cabin. (No, it's not the nut holding the steering wheel, he just creaks and groans!)

Thanks for the reply, it is for the MY20 V90. The issue happens in both wet and dry conditions but is intermittent. I have stopped using it now and have switched to giving the 'L' button a double press when I need to dip the mirror. I will flagged it at the service next year but suspect little can be done due to the intermittent nature of the issue.

Hope you find/resolve the issue with the clonking noise .

Chudy85 Sep 22nd, 2022 20:26

Hello chaps,

After over a year fighting with Volvo dealers. I won and they had to replaced all driver wing mirror with wiring for new :) happy days so far no more issue with mirror position after reversing or after access to car or outside temperature sensor.
There was the faulty wire inside the mirror that caused problem and also was interfering outside temperature sensor.

Looks like this problem should be reported as recall. I have got loan car during my car stays with them and v90 reg 21 had exactly same problem:shocked:.