Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   oh heck, I've gone and bought another one (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=208628)

940Graeme Jun 28th, 2014 00:08

oh heck, I've gone and bought another one

2 Attachment(s)
So here Guys and Gals, is the latest addition to the fleet.

Yes, I've gone and bought a 265 GLE Auto to add to the S80, 440GL and 965 CD.

I just couldn't resist this 3 owner car in this condition, (it is better than these seller pics make it look), with ALL the contemporary toys - AirCon, Electric windows and mirrors and an FM radio with 8 track!!

It has some faults, but nothing that really detracts from the stunning originality of this car that How Many Left says is one of 7 on the road in the UK, (+ 11 SORN).

Sadly I won't make it to the National on Sunday with it, but it will be around, and you'll see it soon.

I'll put more pictures on when I've picked it up, but in the meantime - wish me luck!

cheshired5 Jun 28th, 2014 00:12

Love it.
Dare I ask how much?

Orca2 Jun 28th, 2014 00:14

Well done Graeme it looks beeyoootiful you lucky barsteward glad you got it.

940Graeme Jun 28th, 2014 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 1679540)
Love it.
Dare I ask how much?

OK, I will answer that question - £3250. I KNOW many will say too much money, BUT:

When did you last see another in this condition, with this rare spec and colour
When did you last see another!
I have seen, driven, inspected (massive) service history - MUCH work done in last 2 years
Whatever "the market" may say it is worth - to ME, to own this rare car, it is worth every penny.

So yes, that is what I paid, and why.

Worth it - well to me, yes!!

Orca2 Jun 28th, 2014 00:22

I think you nicked it at that price mate it looks fantastic, is it just the pictures or is it a lot longer than a V70 it looks huge.

cheshired5 Jun 28th, 2014 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940Graeme (Post 1679546)
OK, I will answer that question - £3250. I KNOW many will say too much money, BUT:

When did you last see another in this condition, with this rare spec and colour
When did you last see another!
I have seen, driven, inspected (massive) service history - MUCH work done in last 2 years
Whatever "the market" may say it is worth - to ME, to own this rare car, it is worth every penny.

So yes, that is what I paid, and why.

Worth it - well to me, yes!!

If that's what it's worth to you, that's all that counts and I have to say that it sounds like a bargain to me.
I like genuine, original "ordinary" cars over exotica any day.

940Graeme Jun 28th, 2014 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca2 (Post 1679549)
I think you nicked it at that price mate it looks fantastic, is it just the pictures or is it a lot longer than a V70 it looks huge.

Thank you Orca matey.

It is longer than a V70 I think, the 200's are surprising big when you see them. Not quite as big as the 900 of course, but still a big ol bugger.

Of course, 3 miles of bumper makes it look even bigger!

Mind you, I parked the 960 next to a brand new V70 today........the V70 looked almost tiny in comparison!

regards and thanks m8,

greasyfingers Jun 28th, 2014 01:09

I had a 264 GLE auto about 25 years ago. I remember some chap trying to convince me it was already a classic back then - I know it had some classic rust. I think I sold it for about £120.

Despite what people say, I loved the V6 Volvault engine, and I even understood, and could repair the K-Jetronic fuel system. But it probably had the well known head/head gasket issues when I sold it (I never investigated, but it was showing some symptoms).

But the main issue I had - apart from 16 mpg - with it was with the inlet manifold bolts; IIRC there were only 4 of them, something like M6, and too short. Screwing into an aluminium head, the threads stripped as soon as look at them, causing whistling inlet leaks. If you're lucky, you can use a longer bolt to pick up some thread further down the hole, but I ended up having to fabricate a plate across the top of the manifold, which I clamped down with J bolts onto the main block below, somehow. Not very elegant, but at least it held the manifold down in place.

Enjoy it; I did.

940Graeme Jun 28th, 2014 01:20

Thank you Greasyfingers!

I know that the V6 can be problematical, and am, in some ways, prepared for it.

Not least, to be honest, I would not have even considered buying this car if I wasn't a member of the VOC, or, more especially, this forum.
"Burt" (BUR 122T) won't be an everyday car, but neither will it be an over polished show piece. All my Volvo's have to earn their keep, and Burt will be no exception. But, will be looked after - with the excellent help of peeps on this forum - like your good self.

I'm looking forward to ownership of something a little more challenging, and interesting!

Thanks

stephend Jun 28th, 2014 20:33

Looks great, especially for a T-plate. I look forward to seeing more pics!