Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   New engine required on xc60? 3 years old (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318545)

Lean Jul 21st, 2021 12:10

New engine required on xc60? 3 years old

Hi all,

My XC60 (late 2017 plate) of which I have done 24k miles. It broke down last week and was recovered via volvo assistance. It's been serviced via volvo dealer and was within the service period (next one due in around 11k miles or so I think) but the warranty had lapsed.

I've been told I need a new engine which is going to cost 9k. Volvo customer service have agreed to pay 50% of the cost - but obviously leaves me with a 4.5k cost. Am i wrong to think that even if it's out of warranty I should be able to expect the car engine to last more than 24k. This is the report I've been given. Can't help feel that a car that cost me 45k + should not be having an engine fail when it's been serviced regardless it being out of warranty?

Any help / advice appreciated
Thanks

Vehicle recovered in as non-runner. Carried out initial test and found plug number 1 covered in oil with

Fault code ECM-P0300 cylinder number 1 misfire.

Checked and found no compression on cylinder 1.

Checked with camera scope and found piston wet/oily.

Suspect requires new engine.

XC90Mk1 Jul 21st, 2021 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lean (Post 2755342)
Hi all,

My XC60 (late 2017 plate) of which I have done 24k miles. It broke down last week and was recovered via volvo assistance. It's been serviced via volvo dealer and was within the service period (next one due in around 11k miles or so I think) but the warranty had lapsed.

I've been told I need a new engine which is going to cost 9k. Volvo customer service have agreed to pay 50% of the cost - but obviously leaves me with a 4.5k cost. Am i wrong to think that even if it's out of warranty I should be able to expect the car engine to last more than 24k. This is the report I've been given. Can't help feel that a car that cost me 45k + should not be having an engine fail when it's been serviced regardless it being out of warranty?

Thanks

Vehicle recovered in as non-runner. Carried out initial test and found plug number 1 covered in oil with

Firstly piston 1 oily and loss of compression does not mean new engine conclusively. There are multiple reasons that could happen so further investigation is needed.

With my Volvo now at 110,000 miles I feel it’s run in. 25k is not sufficient and you shouldn’t have to pay.

Get onto Volvo U.K.

Shepherdspie Jul 21st, 2021 14:15

Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks

Agree with what XC90Mk1 stated. It could be a whole multitude of things to cause no compression on No. 1. and it is wet and oily. In no particular order: piston rings, hole in piston, head gasket (although in my experience this would likely coincide with a corresponding low to nil compression in No. 2 also), valve stem oil seals (if the engine has them), incorrectly seated valve (worn/burnt valve seat), etc, etc. Was it definitely confirmed as engine oil - could just be unburnt diesel? Do you have crankcase compression (i.e. take the oil filler off and do you get pressure coming out) this indicates piston rings, did they inject a small amount of oil into the cylinder for a second compression test (has the effect of temp sealing any ring issues giving a little increase in pressure). Aside from running lumpy, are there any sounds (knocking, ticking, etc) out of the normal. What were you doing when you noticed the issue? So many questions before writing off an engine.

Agreed, 24k is way too low a mileage on a modern engine to warrant diagnosis of catastrophic failure. Have you had the car from new? Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is your driving style? Have you had full dealer service? Did you have it MOT'd by the dealer? I purchase a test cover validation when I get mine MOT'd by the dealer should any component fail in the following 12 months they will repair for free (with the necessary fair wear and tear caveats).

Clan Jul 21st, 2021 14:44

Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks

They have not given any reason as to why it needs a new engine ... they have not diagnosed it ....They have not finished their diagnosis properly ...

It sounds as if they had a quick look couldn't find anything , given up and quoted the max price ! A cylinder leakage test is the first thing they should have done after the compression test ... I'm sure Volvo uk will say exactly that to them if they ask for a new engine ...

BlueDevil Jul 21st, 2021 15:29

Seems like a nice smooth way for dealer to get an almost-new engine for next-to-nothing money-wise. You accept to install a new one for 4.5k, they pay 4.5k and get your engine, fix the problem (assuming they know it is something relatively simple), and voila' somebody got an excellent engine with only 24k on the clock.

Rocinante Jul 21st, 2021 15:32

Adding to what others have said,

"Suspect requires new engine" - I'd like more than a suspicion before spending £9000 (or even £4.5). But they may have more information that what was shared as I would think Volvo would want some conclusive evidence before agreeing to spend £4.5k.

Secondly, see link below, which might be of interest, for a Volvo with a catastrophic engine failure at 3years and 4 days old, and therefore out of warranty. 30K miles. Volvo originally offered 50%, went to 80% and finally up to 100%.

Not identical circumstances, but similar enough to be of interest, I would have thought.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/t...oughts-please/

Lean Jul 21st, 2021 16:17

Thanks all

I'm going to go back to Volvo customer care and raise some of these valid points. Much appreciated, will update

Philip Fisher Jul 21st, 2021 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lean (Post 2755422)
Thanks all

I'm going to go back to Volvo customer care and raise some of valid points. Much appreciated, will update

Which dealer? Yorkshire is a big place.....

Quacker Jul 24th, 2021 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2755395)
They have not given any reason as to why it needs a new engine ... they have not diagnosed it ....They have not finished their diagnosis properly ...

It sounds as if they had a quick look couldn't find anything , given up and quoted the max price ! A cylinder leakage test is the first thing they should have done after the compression test ... I'm sure Volvo uk will say exactly that to them if they ask for a new engine ...

Sadly typical of many main dealers that lack skilled mechanics that are able to actually repair things. They mainly employ ‘fitters’ rather than mechanics
Nevertheless under consumer law in the UK you are actually covered for this kind of premature failure for six years from purchase. You should not have to pay anything for this repair even if it means a whole new engine.

eternal optimist Jul 24th, 2021 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2756239)
Sadly typical of many main dealers that lack skilled mechanics that are able to actually repair things. They mainly employ ‘fitters’ rather than mechanics
Nevertheless under consumer law in the UK you are actually covered for this kind of premature failure for six years from purchase. You should not have to pay anything for this repair even if it means a whole new engine.

That’s interesting - never seen anything as definitive as six years - where is that specified?