Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Parking brake temorarily unavailable (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304477)

nu11eaf Mar 12th, 2020 10:35

Parking brake temorarily unavailable

Warning on dash came on this morning, "Parking brake temorarily unavailable" I was stopped at lights when warning came on, with stop start activated selector in drive and auto hold on, car would not restart with throttle and I had to put car in park and start it with the switch.
At next set of lights same again so I had to turn off stop start and put selector in park at next stop, when I got home I checked the parking brake and it is working fine manually but auto hold is not working and the warning message is still on.
Anyone else had this happen and if so was it "temorary" or did it require service.

familymangreg Mar 12th, 2020 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2609042)
Warning on dash came on this morning, "Parking brake temorarily unavailable" I was stopped at lights when warning came on, with stop start activated selector in drive and auto hold on, car would not restart with throttle and I had to put car in park and start it with the switch.
At next set of lights same again so I had to turn off stop start and put selector in park at next stop, when I got home I checked the parking brake and it is working fine manually but auto hold is not working and the warning message is still on.
Anyone else had this happen and if so was it "temorary" or did it require service.

I cannot remember seeing this as much of an issue on the forum over the year nu11eaf. If you search 'parking brake temporarily', there are a couple of posts (both of which you contributed to), but nothing on the remedy in either case I'm afraid.

I'd maybe try another journey, see if the error is still present, and if so get it booked in, or even use Volvo On Call to have it recovered.

Beware, on one post this error soon progressed to complete shutdown, including no parking brake and heavy steering, so maybe stay close to home until you know what it is.

:wq

nu11eaf Mar 12th, 2020 13:09

Thanks. It is now showing auto hold requires service as the message. Parking brake is working ok apart from auto hold. Looks like a visit to Stone acre to be robbed of £99 to plug it in. They say diagnostics is not covered by extended warranty.

James77 Mar 12th, 2020 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2609086)
Thanks. It is now showing auto hols requires service as the message. Parking brake is working ok apart from auto hold. Looks like a visit to Stone acre to be robbed of £99 to plug it in. They say diagnostics is not covered by extended warranty.

That is absolutely theft. Ridiculous diagnosis is not covered under extended warranty even so plugging in should be £25 maximum.

I'd make that clear to them too...than pay the £99.

nu11eaf Mar 12th, 2020 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by James77 (Post 2609088)
That is absolutely theft. Ridiculous diagnosis is not covered under extended warranty even so plugging in should be £25 maximum.

I'd make that clear to them too...than pay the £99.

That's Stoneacre for you, I will of course object strongly. But people in highway mans masks tend not to listen, since they took over my dealership customer care is the last thing they are interested in.

MCV60 Mar 12th, 2020 19:27

From the FAQ’s of recent email from Volvo regarding extended warranty.

Quote:

What happens if I’m not happy with the service?
We hope you won't need to make a complaint, but if you're not happy with the service provided, you should call Volvo Warranty Administration on 0344 573 8014. Please quote your vehicle registration number to ensure your enquiry is dealt with promptly. We'll do our best to resolve your query straight away, in line with the complaints process outlined in the Policy Document. Should you not be satisfied with the initial resolution of your complaint, you will still be entitled to complain to the Motor Industry Codes Advisory and Conciliation Service or to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
May be worth giving the Volvo Warranty Administration a call. If covered by them?

nu11eaf Mar 17th, 2020 12:56

Update:
I had the "auto hold service required" and "parking brake temporarlity unavailable" problem sorted out to with a software update, they tried to charge £99 for diagnostic check but after I complained about this excessive charge it was carried out free of charge.
I had a split power pulse pipe replaced at the same time, hoses are not covered by the extended warranty (which I knew about) but they rang Volvo UK who contributed to the cost.

MCV60 Mar 17th, 2020 14:25

Result.
Surely the diagnostic check is required as part of the fall finding. Therefore, a process they have to run through?
Obviously, they were trying it on. To the less informed this would have resulted in gaining revenue for the service department.

nu11eaf Mar 17th, 2020 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCV60 (Post 2610442)
Result.
Surely the diagnostic check is required as part of the fall finding. Therefore, a process they have to run through?
Obviously, they were trying it on. To the less informed this would have resulted in gaining revenue for the service department.

I agree, this outfit try everything they can to get money out of you, it was a great dealership before they took it over.

While I was waiting for my car to be fixed another customer was getting his car MOT done or worked on, he was getting text messages as this was being done, one of them was "your coolant strength is too low and requires changing", he told me that the same dealership had replaced his radiator less than a year ago and replaced the coolant then so he was not happy that they were trying to scam him.

I must add that the people at the dealership are really good but are obviously being told to upsell everything they can get away with by the company. Another they are now pushing is get your car sanitised for £29.99.

Abhi Aug 22nd, 2020 04:30

Hi nu11eaf,

Update:
I had the "auto hold service required" and "parking brake temporarlity unavailable" problem sorted out to with a software update, they tried to charge £99 for diagnostic check but after I complained about this excessive charge it was carried out free of charge.
I had a split power pulse pipe replaced at the same time, hoses are not covered by the extended warranty (which I knew about) but they rang Volvo UK who contributed to the cost.

I am currently having the exact same issue, what was the software update they had carried out? My dealer here updated the generic software update for the vehicle and also BCM(Brake control Module) software update. The issue still persists. My dealer here is suggesting me to replace the brake assembly, which, in my opinion is a steal, as the brakes are working. I reckon its a software bug. Your input will really be helpful.