Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The old low rear end.... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107516)

the_traveller Oct 22nd, 2010 17:21

The old low rear end....

Hello, Been too long since I was last here :-)

My old 740 (Just hiot 200,000 miles :D) has a saggy rear end to the pont where the mud flaps drag on cornering... I did my 240 suspension last year with no problems, is the 700 similar? apart from springs what bushes should I look out for?

gpl1968 Oct 22nd, 2010 17:38

If your car has Nivomats on the rear (thicker tube than standard shocks, with rubber bellows at the bottom) then these are probably causing the problem.
The springs fitted with these cannot support the car's weight alone, so when the Nivomats start to fail the car will sag at the rear.

the_traveller Oct 22nd, 2010 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpl1968 (Post 763366)
If your car has Nivomats on the rear (thicker tube than standard shocks, with rubber bellows at the bottom) then these are probably causing the problem.
The springs fitted with these cannot support the car's weight alone, so when the Nivomats start to fail the car will sag at the rear.

Oh forgot to mention that, there not Nivomats.

doingitsideways Oct 22nd, 2010 19:39

Nice and simple

Hi,

sounds like new springs are the order of the day.

You'll find the rear end set-up quite similar to the 240, quite basic really with a live rear axle on both.

Things only got really complicated when independant rear suspension was introduced on the 960s

Prob be a goot idea to fit new shockers too, will tighten up the rear end no end ;)

Hope this helps, Steve :thumbs_up:

the_traveller Oct 22nd, 2010 23:37

Yeah, I might just try springs for now see how it goes

minesa240x3 Oct 23rd, 2010 00:21

I would go for heavy duty springs rather than standard ones.I think the standard only work if you have nivomats to help with the wieght?
I fitted heavy duty ones and although it sits higher I still reckon it's a tad low!It may just be the fact I'm used to my 240 with heavy duty springs which sits quite high now.

Regards Brian.

the_traveller Oct 23rd, 2010 00:25

Yeah, I could only find heavy duty ones for the 740 rear, i'm still not happy with my HD 240 ones, seams a little lively to me :-)

minesa240x3 Oct 23rd, 2010 01:09

Hi Traveller I know what you mean.Have you tried altering the tyre pressures?A little difference can make a big difference to the ride comfort.Failing that a couple of sacks of spuds may be the answer Lol,,,

I still prefer the look when the backs sitting high.I even hit my head less on the open tailgate.
Regards Brian.

Chris740R Oct 23rd, 2010 10:12

I'm probably the best person here to answer this question for you :) how's it going?

It'll need new springs, the shock absorbers aren't nivomats but they were fairly recent.

the_traveller Oct 23rd, 2010 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris740R (Post 763747)
I'm probably the best person here to answer this question for you :) how's it going?

It'll need new springs, the shock absorbers aren't nivomats but they were fairly recent.

Hey there man, Its going good, just hit 200,000 miles :-) Thanks for the info, I've a nearly new used pair i'm going to try first thing in the morning see how things look.