Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dealer and independent clueless - Help Guys!!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=5659)

icurnow Oct 3rd, 2003 08:39

Dealer and independent clueless - Help Guys!!!

Can anyone suggest things to look at for the following front suspension(?) noise. Volvo chap has driven and had no idea, local independent has driven, put on ramp prodded and poked. Between them they seem to have eliminated wishbone arm bushes, roll bar and links, shock and top mount, sub frame bushes.

A very clear and distinct 'knock, knock' (quite heavy/mechanical) is evident from front passenger side when going over pot holes, drains etc AT LOW SPEED, most evident when car is pitching side to side, or is unsettled over bump. Normal high speed suspension action does not create sound.

V70 TDI, now has 104K miles, i know washer tank is in driver side wing, is their anything in passenger side which could be causing noise having come loose?

Help so appreciated, its embarasing to drive through town! and I really can live with this for much longer... Car is booked into ASGARD Volvo Wolverhampton next thurs, however the though of paying for hours of investigation without resolution fills me with financial apprehension!

Thanks in advance

Ian Curnow

----------------------------
V70 99 TDI

a803sgo Oct 3rd, 2003 08:56

RE: Dealer and independent clueless - Help Guys!!!

i agree with wot your saying about dealers they don't know there arse from there elbow.

useless they are, if they can't sort it they will tell u its normal, lieing w**kers!!!

sorry, u might of guessed but i've had bad dealings with dealers, b**tards

but anyway, i had this sort of noise and it turned out ot be the brake pads moving around!!!

i had used subsitute pads though when i changed them for genuine the noise stopped.

i had to figure this out myself after the volvo s**ts said it was NORMAL!!!

i think they like there cars to make stupid noises no wonder everyone thinks most volvo's are #### boxes!!!

icurnow Oct 3rd, 2003 09:21

Tried 3rd part pads in front felt so gritty changed back to expensive but nicer volvo ones - so its not that, nice idea though, I do hope I get rescued before volvo get their hands on it. PS its also going back after TYN LON Volvo anglesy bodged bottom pully replace (failed when on holiday this summer), it now whines at 2500 rpm as something is catching, TYN LON said they will consider the cost of correction after ASGARD have done the work! I'm expecting more than just 'consider'!!

Ian Curnow

V70 99 TDI

ajm Oct 3rd, 2003 10:35

>A very clear and distinct 'knock, knock' (quite
>heavy/mechanical) is evident from front passenger side when
>going over pot holes, drains etc AT LOW SPEED, most evident
>when car is pitching side to side, or is unsettled over bump.
>Normal high speed suspension action does not create sound.

Are your engine mounts in good shape? Especially the top one? That's on the passenger side.

Just an idea...

AJ

icurnow Oct 3rd, 2003 10:56

ANother good thought will check, but thing their fine.

Thanks a bunch - keep thinking folks

Ian Curnow

V70 99 TDI

Philip Fisher Oct 3rd, 2003 12:06

Mine has this knocking/clunking noise from the front passenger side. As you say, it is loudest round town, over bumpy roads. I have had it all checked out and everything is tight and in tolerence. It has been doing it since I had it 45000 miles ago.......

Only idea is what my independant mechanic suggested, which is a tie arm. There is an arm which links the wishbone and the anti roll bar (I think). It is about 6inches long and has a ball type joint on each end. He has suggested that this needs replacing.

Let me know your diagnosis.

icurnow Oct 3rd, 2003 12:58

Yep I know the roll bar drop link sound. That was gone at 80K when I bought mine, replaced it myself, very easy! Part from Euro car £10 and inspected against old one as identical (£40 from volvo).

Its not that, however in your case go for it £10 and sound gone!

Ian Curnow

V70 99 TDI

monsterdark Oct 3rd, 2003 13:13

I would have a look where Aj says, i had a severe knocking from the passenger side, found out after i had took the top mount out it was completly shot even though it seemed ok. Got a new mount from don @
http://www.kalmar-union.com/ fitted it & the knocking sound went straight away give it ago it may work

cheers Monsterdark

Mike Smith Oct 3rd, 2003 19:25

Hi
I had a very similar problem with my Saab 9000 noticed it even worse when cornering, turned out to be a collapsed wheel bearing,
Just a thought!

Regards
Mike Smith
----------
96 850 GLT

sholtby Oct 3rd, 2003 21:29

Is the battery secure?