Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40: Gearbox oil change & fuel filter change (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324955)

ButterBean Apr 21st, 2022 16:20

Gearbox oil change & fuel filter change

Hi guys...

New to this forum, but not new to Volvo's as I've had a 850 T5 back in the day that I loved.

I've just purchased a UK S40 SE 2435cc petrol 5 cylinder on a 2004 plate with 110k on the clock. So it's a series ll. I'd like to change the gearbox oil on it, but can see you need a special tool that the main dealer wants £85. Has anyone managed to change the oil without this tool with maybe a wobbly socket on an extension bar?

Also... I'm trying to find where the inline fuel filter is. I've watched loads of YouTube vids and it looks like it's on the nearside! But I can't see it anywhere.

Could you give me advice on this please.

Cheers

ButterBean Apr 23rd, 2022 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterBean (Post 2820272)
Hi guys...

New to this forum, but not new to Volvo's as I've had a 850 T5 back in the day that I loved.

I've just purchased a UK S40 SE 2435cc petrol 5 cylinder on a 2004 plate with 110k on the clock. So it's a series ll. I'd like to change the gearbox oil on it, but can see you need a special tool that the main dealer wants £85. Has anyone managed to change the oil without this tool with maybe a wobbly socket on an extension bar?

Also... I'm trying to find where the inline fuel filter is. I've watched loads of YouTube vids and it looks like it's on the nearside! But I can't see it anywhere.

Cheers

Has anyone used a suction pump to remover the gearbox oil so you don't have to take off the engine undertray? I used this to change the engine oil via the dip stick the other day without any problems...

Can anybody help here please??? 🤔

ITSv40 Apr 23rd, 2022 11:00

You need to post in the correct forum.

Clan Apr 23rd, 2022 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterBean (Post 2820272)
Hi guys...

Cheers

there is no fuel filter for UK ..
If manual , the gearbox oil will be fine it it the finest synthetic oil .

ButterBean Apr 26th, 2022 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2820604)
there is no fuel filter for UK ..
If manual , the gearbox oil will be fine it it the finest synthetic oil .

Thanks for the info and help. I'm guessing that the fuel filter must be built into the fuel tank. The last owner said he had the clutch replaced, but I have no idea what manual gearbox oil was put back in. I have about 4Ltr of Silkolene Pro SRG 75 sitting about that could be used

Clan Apr 26th, 2022 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterBean (Post 2821210)
Thanks for the info and help. I'm guessing that the fuel filter must be built into the fuel tank. The last owner said he had the clutch replaced, but I have no idea what manual gearbox oil was put back in. I have about 4Ltr of Silkolene Pro SRG 75 sitting about that could be used

yes a fine filter on the pump intake , only on markets with "dirty" fuel they fit a replaceable external filter .

They would have simply put the oil back in the gearbox which they drained out , it is the best quality synthetic , it doesn't deteriorate .

ButterBean Apr 28th, 2022 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2821219)
yes a fine filter on the pump intake , only on markets with "dirty" fuel they fit a replaceable external filter .

They would have simply put the oil back in the gearbox which they drained out , it is the best quality synthetic , it doesn't deteriorate .

That's great stuff to hear. I appreciate your help with me here. Cheers

ButterBean Apr 28th, 2022 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2821219)

That's great stuff to hear. I appreciate your help with me here. Cheers