Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Volvo wagon wanted (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319574)

Jjlg2468 Aug 28th, 2021 19:15

Volvo wagon wanted

Hi there,

Im looking for a Manual Volvo 940 Wagon (Although id be more than happy to take a 240/740). I don't have a lot saved up so please don't expect a sale. Especially if you reply with a car that has a silly price tag.

I'm opening this thread as sites like Facebook marketplace, eBay and other online sources are proving fruitless.

Thanks for checking out the thread.

360beast Aug 28th, 2021 20:12

What's your budget?

Even rough 940s are fetching between £500-£1000, they aren't the cheap and cheerful car they once were.

griston64 Aug 28th, 2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjlg2468 (Post 2766226)
Hi there,

Im looking for a Manual Volvo 940 Wagon (Although id be more than happy to take a 240/740). I don't have a lot saved up so please don't expect a sale. Especially if you reply with a car that has a silly price tag.

I'm opening this thread as sites like Facebook marketplace, eBay and other online sources are proving fruitless.

Thanks for checking out the thread.

Wagon ??

360beast Aug 28th, 2021 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2766243)
Wagon ??

Too many American social effluencers around, the Queens English has been forgotten in favour of the youtuber American attempt at English.

Wagon Sailor Aug 28th, 2021 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2766271)
Too many American social effluencers around, the Queens English has been forgotten in favour of the youtuber American attempt at English.

"Wagon" is a word used by Volvo and is thus perfectly acceptable when discussing our estate cars.

360beast Aug 28th, 2021 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor (Post 2766280)
"Wagon" is a word used by Volvo and is thus perfectly acceptable when discussing our estate cars.

My 760 and 940 owners handbook refers to them as estates, in Europe and America they call them wagons but here we call them estates so I assume they use whatever term is used in that country, so over here they're estates :) I'll never refer to them as a wagon personally.

Also the Oxford dictionary defines a wagon as a small vehicle with four wheels able to be pulled or pushed by horses... so not a Volvo estate.

griston64 Aug 28th, 2021 23:17

We don't call wings fenders so why call our estate cars wagons ? Utter nonsense !:tounge_smile:

360beast Aug 28th, 2021 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2766298)
We don't call wings fenders so why call our estate cars wagons ? Utter nonsense !:tounge_smile:

I looked online and actually wagon is an American term. European countries have completely different names, Germany call them a Kombi, France calls them a break de chasse.

I went on Volvo cars Swedish website and they call them a Kombi too so there you go, Wagon is an American term not what Volvo call them.

Laird Scooby Aug 29th, 2021 07:58

Definitely estate in the UK! You wouldn't take your car to an MoT station and get a failure sheet with "Excessive corrosion to the rocker panels - repair immediately, FAIL" because it's an American term.

There's a lot of strange terminology surrounding estates and nomenclature, many German manufacturers were fond of calling their estates "Touring". I remember once when the apprentice went to get the vehicle details from a Merc, he said out loud "Merc 300 TurboDiesel".
My boss and i both looked at him and said "It's not a turbo!" :nah:

Apprentice waited a few minutes then said "What the f*** is the T for then?"

"Touring! Means it's an estate!"

Rover applied the "Touring" moniker to some models in the early ish 90s, namely the 400 models which were pretty much a clone of the Honda Civic Aerodeck. We never got a 600 Touring which would have been the equivalent of the Accord Aerodeck which was designed, built and named in the USA.

As Luke says, the Europeans tend to call estates Touring or Kombi, it seems the US is the only country to want a generic term that is reminiscent of the Wild West.

For anyone interested that doesn't already know, in the USA a rocker panel is what we call a sill. :thumbs_up:

john.wigley Aug 29th, 2021 09:04

Good explanation, 'L.S.'. It doesn't mean that the term is incorrect, though, just not in context, in much the same way as those 'down under' refer to a pick-up as a 'ute', short for utility. :regular_smile:

Regards, John.