Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine: 2.3 Carb B23A/B230K: not a happy girl! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323766)

honestjoe Feb 22nd, 2022 06:41

not a happy girl!

morning all..a few weeks back old bertha had the damp start morning symptons so i changed all the usual plugs leads rotor dizzy..no change..so i pulled the plugs and they are very sooty only been in the car for 50 miles..I"m getting worried now..because on start up seems to be only running on three or possibly two cylinders for about 30 seconds then clears and runs although not perfect is useable..this morning i thought she was going to break down completely so i pulled over as engine was getting bogged down..turned it off..started again and was fine for the remainder of journey and got me home..There is no oil in expansion tank and seem to be losing no coolant..no water in the oil..Having a compression test this week..strange symptoms..fine then not then fine..sigh..The sooty plugs might be where i should be looking..any advice will be very welcome..hj..ps erg pipe under the exhaust manifold is leaking badly.

Familyman 90 Feb 22nd, 2022 06:48

I'm probably wrong, but something in my mind tells me these had Pierburg carburettors. If thats the case its well worth checking for a split diaphragm.

honestjoe Feb 22nd, 2022 08:04

Thanks familyman...it has a solex on it..i"m beginning to think it might be a failing coil or ignition module..I pray to the big fella upstairs its not the head gasket..hj

Familyman 90 Feb 22nd, 2022 08:07

Head gasket is very easy and straightforward on these, unless the engine gets cooked. Can't think of an easier OHC motor to do a headset on. A lazy mornings DIY. Fingers crossed its something simple though.

honestjoe Feb 22nd, 2022 10:03

another thing before i forget..she is drinking more than i am...poor spark delivery?

grumpydad Feb 22nd, 2022 23:44

Hi
its a carb problem

bad start running rich

Othen Feb 23rd, 2022 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by honestjoe (Post 2809354)
Thanks familyman...it has a solex on it..i"m beginning to think it might be a failing coil or ignition module..I pray to the big fella upstairs its not the head gasket..hj

The symptoms sound more like a carburettor problem. Here is a link to a copy of the green book that covers all the carburettors (including Solex and Peirburg). I would suggest going through the set up procedure for whatever you have fitted - check the diaphragm and the oil damper level first:

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...el_Systems.pdf

All the carburettors are really simple, it doesn't take long to set them up from scratch.

It is important to be methodical when looking for a fault. I would suggest that you check the ignition timing with a strobe (takes 2 minutes) and the compression (takes 15 minutes) because they are quick and easy, and eliminate a whole raft of possible problems.

Good fortune,

Alan

honestjoe Mar 11th, 2022 20:25

sigh!..ok here we go..took bertha to the garage..£100 later..no change..just fired the old girl up..not firing on cylinder one and four..on start up dont understand it...this redblock is undestoryable..there is nothing wrong with the engine..i was thinking weak spark..i dont know what the firing order is?...this is killing me guys..its getting me down...hj.

DW42 Mar 11th, 2022 23:25

What were the compression test results? Is there compression in cylinders 1 and 4?

honestjoe Mar 12th, 2022 00:46

Thanks DW...everything has gone through my head..head gasket ..valves .. compression..you guys are going have to trust me when i say this engine is bomb proof..this does not happen over night..but thats what happened..folks staring into my bonnet.a lot of head scratching..and advice..i still think its electrical which goes against all my logic..firstly i"m going to change coil pack..if that doesnt work i"ll come crawling back...thanks guys!..hj.