Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Kerboom goes the exhaust - advice wanted (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55958)

scooters Mar 19th, 2008 10:37

Kerboom goes the exhaust - advice wanted

Gringos,

Well I've clocked up 4500 motorway miles in the 940 Sport over the last month and last night had the first wear and tear issue.

M1 9.00pm just outside Luton floored the engine to hear an audible ping/bink/bang from under the car followed by an exhaust tone like my old Westfield.

Anyway I took the car to KwikFit this morning and sure enough a hole the size of a 2p has literally been blown out the side of the front pipe about 3 inches forward from the Cat.

The Cat looks nasty so I asked for a quote from Kwik Fit - £200 including fitting seems OK. However, the front pipe is coming in at a whopping £230 including fitting - now this is a HPT with a Turbo + but this seems pretty steep - any suggestions or do I bite the bullet?

James_N Mar 19th, 2008 10:43

go anywhere but Kwik fit. they are muppets.

It will be much cheaper elsewhere.

scooters Mar 19th, 2008 10:49

another question - if I drive the car from London to Edinburgh tomorrow with this hole will it cause any issues other that the Spitfire exhaust tone - I am aware fuel consumption will go up - I haven't noticed any significant change in turbo boost

minstrel Mar 19th, 2008 11:02

exhaust blown

if you can afford it go for Volvo parts, they are much thicker and will last a lot longer, and it will fit. The price looks OK for the front pipe if it includes the cat. My 960 pipe cost that recently.

Minstrel

SteveP Mar 19th, 2008 11:13

Is it maybe worth considering a custom 3" downpipe and 3" cat, I don't think there'd be much difference in price if you go mild steel.

scooters Mar 19th, 2008 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 389107)
Is it maybe worth considering a custom 3" downpipe and 3" cat, I don't think there'd be much difference in price if you go mild steel.

any ideas where i can get one?

SteveP Mar 19th, 2008 11:48

Not entirely sure, don't think you can buy them off the shelf for 940s, in the UK atleast - you could do with finding somewhere like Longlife exhaust systems.

scooters Mar 19th, 2008 11:58

what about driving with a blowing exhaust - I'm new to turbo engines especially HPT with turbo plus.

if I were to drive the car 400 miles would it cause any probs?

ivor940 Mar 19th, 2008 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooters (Post 389087)
Gringos,

a hole the size of a 2p has literally been blown out the side of the front pipe about 3 inches forward from the Cat.

The Cat looks nasty

Why not get the hole patch welded prior to the journey home? Just because the Cat looks battered does not mean it is faulty. AFAIK there is a blanking bolt forward of the Cat. Did this blow off and result in the hole? As regards driving with the hole, there are 2 issues. One is there anything nearby which could be damaged by exhaust. Second is the possible ingress of exhaust fumes into the car. It may also be possible to do a temp repair with a beans can / exhaust sealant and 2 jubilee clips if the hole is on a straight part of the exhaust.

ivor940

scooters Mar 19th, 2008 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivor940 (Post 389142)
Why not get the hole patch welded prior to the journey home? Just because the Cat looks battered does not mean it is faulty. AFAIK there is a blanking bolt forward of the Cat. Did this blow off and result in the hole? As regards driving with the hole, there are 2 issues. One is there anything nearby which could be damaged by exhaust. Second is the possible ingress of exhaust fumes into the car. It may also be possible to do a temp repair with a beans can / exhaust sealant and 2 jubilee clips if the hole is on a straight part of the exhaust.

ivor940

Hi - thanks for that.

The hole is literally just above the cat and is on a straight part of the exhaust. Because I will be driving at speed (over 60mph) then the fumes aren't too much of a problem - there is nothing else around that could cause the problem. The beans tin and gungum solution sounds like a good temp stop gap however, with the pressure from the exhause going into the cat would the repair last the 400 odd miles I will have to drive?