Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850/x70 S1 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   '97 V70 T5 Manual (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317743)

Volvo6 Jun 20th, 2021 20:37

'97 V70 T5 Manual

5 Attachment(s)
I am contemplating selling the V70 T5 Manual that my Dad has had since new and want to gauge interest.

Been a while since I have driven it much but AFAIK it was mechanically always looked after no expense spared but has sat unused for nearly a year. FSH, almost all main dealer.

Unfortunately cosmetically in poor condition and needs a respray, has a number of minor dents although nothing dramatic. Check strap mount for drivers side door needs welding. No significant rust, although a few of the dented areas have some surface. There may be some surface rust underneath and around the rear exhaust bracket but looks pretty clean to me. Radio locked and cannot find the code. MOT expires mid August, mileage aprox 160k.

Interior is not too bad although door card leather is debonding.

I drove it briefly today and engine sounds a bit 'ticky' but settled down after a while, pulls really well as these engines should and goes through the gears. No warning lights at the moment. Some front suspension noises which don't sound great but haven't investigated. Clutch was replaced a few hundred miles ago. I suspect will need a new battery.

Was thinking £750 or so. Located near Winchester in Hampshire. PM if interested.

tomodan Jun 21st, 2021 00:13

Hi

I can’t PM yet as I don’t have enough posts!

Could you send me a number so I can call to discuss your dads car please?

Cheers

Volvo6 Jun 21st, 2021 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomodan (Post 2746731)
Hi

I can’t PM yet as I don’t have enough posts!

Could you send me a number so I can call to discuss your dads car please?

Cheers

NP, PM sent.

Mkengineering Jun 21st, 2021 12:33

This wont hang about.

Although its not in the best of conditions. It will still sell and become a parts car

XC90Mk1 Jun 21st, 2021 13:45

I think £750.00 sounds very reasonable. It’s a single owner so someone with body experience could get into it, or you of course have the option to buy it and take parts, seems a good start point to me anyway.

I notice your Range Rover P38 in the back ground! I have always liked those since a kid! Out of interest what’s it like running that?

Volvo6 Jun 21st, 2021 18:00

I mean I would rather it did not go for parts, would be nice to see someone spend the money on the body but ultimately I know I don't have any control over what a buyer might do with it.

I am a bit tempted to keep it, but the various car projects have become completely out of control during lockdown and it is time for reality to bite! My dad wants something smaller and younger so it kind of needs to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1
I notice your Range Rover P38 in the back ground! I have always liked those since a kid! Out of interest what’s it like running that?

It's not a car I would ever recommend with a straight face that someone buy, because they can be terrible money pits, but fingers crossed ours is actually not bad, largely because it has had quite a bit spent on it. Drives like a lorry and c.18 MPG but somehow they make more sense as a classic than they did when new - Land Rover's last new design with the Rover V8 and ladder chassis before the Germans and sanity hauled them into the 21st century.

tomodan Jun 22nd, 2021 01:13

Hi, have only just got your PM (day from hell at work!) will contact you tomorrow (today 😳!)

Thanks.

Existential Crisis Jun 22nd, 2021 08:36

Bargain, someone get this bought.

sdg1970 Jun 22nd, 2021 17:44

I don't understand the mentality behind 'factory fresh' bodywork. A few dings and scrapes gives these cars oodles of character imo - if it were me, I'd spend any money on getting the engine and transmission fully serviced and making sure it's boosting spot on. Then use it as a daily.

XCR Jun 22nd, 2021 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdg1970 (Post 2747282)
I don't understand the mentality behind 'factory fresh' bodywork. A few dings and scrapes gives these cars oodles of character imo - if it were me, I'd spend any money on getting the engine and transmission fully serviced and making sure it's boosting spot on. Then use it as a daily.

Agreed.
Get her running nicely then spend time on each panel as time and budget allow. PDR, machine polish and if necessary off to the bodyshop for a tidy of the front end.
A door is around £60 and if the tailgate is bad its a straightforward job too.
This should not be a parts car for the sake of bodywork....well worth the effort considering the purchase price.