Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Would VIDA show fault with glow plug? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315801)

VolvoRob38 Apr 6th, 2021 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2726162)

:icon_smile_lachuh:

Brilliant thanks lol... i will report back tomorrow

ele288 Apr 6th, 2021 18:59

1.6d have performance issue if the glow plugs fail.

cheshired5 Apr 6th, 2021 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ele288 (Post 2726251)
1.6d have performance issue if the glow plugs fail.

How does a failed glow plug affect how the engine runs on a journey with the 1.6?

ele288 Apr 6th, 2021 22:34

On modern diesel engines the glow plugs are not only used for starting the engine. The glow plugs are also used during normal operation and driving. The reason of this is to make the engine run smoother and reduce emissions.

A defect of the glow plug system should generate DTC codes. Volvo and Ford Tdci will cause limp mode with failure of the glow plug

Laird Scooby Apr 6th, 2021 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ele288 (Post 2726358)
On modern diesel engines the glow plugs are not only used for starting the engine. The glow plugs are also used during normal operation and driving. The reason of this is to make the engine run smoother and reduce emissions.

A defect of the glow plug system should generate DTC codes. Volvo and Ford Tdci will cause limp mode with failure of the glow plug

Presumably that will effect all other cars that use the same engine then? Such as the BMW Mini, PSA HDi engines and so on.

I don't see it as being an effective measure as glow plugs take time to heat up and therefore have an effect on emissions, also if the engine efficiency is dropping to the point where it doesn't have enough residual heat to efficiently fire the next cycles charge, it pionts to a design fault.

More voodoo to hide the fact that diesel is a dirty fuel! :realmad:

Bashy Apr 6th, 2021 23:44

I have glow plug connector issues, I have also had incorrect plugs installed, thread not in the correct place thus the tips not reaching the required position and Ive not had any plug related Vida codes show up...

Laird Scooby Apr 7th, 2021 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2726382)
I have glow plug connector issues, I have also had incorrect plugs installed, thread not in the correct place thus the tips not reaching the required position and Ive not had any plug related Vida codes show up...

Yours is a bit bigger than a 1.6 though. Seems from the comments above this problem is mainly with the 1.6 engine, possibly the 2.0 as well but not sure.

Bashy Apr 7th, 2021 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2726392)
Yours is a bit bigger than a 1.6 though. Seems from the comments above this problem is mainly with the 1.6 engine, possibly the 2.0 as well but not sure.

Yeah, i noticed, just thought i would mention my experience
If anything, i would have thought it would show in Vida on mine more than the P1 seen as its a later setup

Laird Scooby Apr 7th, 2021 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2726395)
Yeah, i noticed, just thought i would mention my experience
If anything, i would have thought it would show in Vida on mine more than the P1 seen as its a later setup

I'd make a guess that with the smaller engine, at low speed/load it doesn't create enough heat to maintain an efficient burn but yours being bigger does. Like i said, a design fault, overcome with a bodge to try and alter the Laws of Physics and/or Chemistry to try and pull the emissions back into line.

Clan Apr 7th, 2021 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 (Post 2726160)
Hi Clan,

You helped me previously with my accelerator pedal sensor, which turned out to be a simple clean of the CEM board/connectors with contact cleaner. No issues since.

Hoping this is something as easy to fix with contact cleaner again lol. I searched for ECM location and saw in a post from 2016 you said it was located on the right behind the front wheel arch... is that right looking at the front from outside (passenger side), or right from within the vehicle (drivers side)? Just incase I do need to get at the glow relay and get the contact cleaner out.

Im not too clued up when it comes to electrics, have had a go before with varying success. Like the accelerator pedal great success, thanks. But if I am going to test the glow plugs; "by measuring their resistance to ground with the leads off".... am I right in understanding that you mean remove the leads from the plugs first, then test the resistance to ground by holding one tester probe (+ red) on the glow plug and the other probe (- black) on e.g. vehicle body, or anywhere that would be ground/earth?

If they are higher than 2 ohms they need replacing?

Thanks

All volvos external connectors where the water is liable to get to them are waterproofed with rubber seals around each wire in the connector ..

Regarding glow plugs , yes you have the idea . They are not likely to fail shorted . more likely open circuit . but see what the resistance is ...