Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Why do we do it? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316543)

Mattye May 3rd, 2021 22:11

Why do we do it?

Just wondered what it is about these older Volvo's that makes us spend time and money on them. I admit this is my first Volvo (2006 V70 D5 AWD) but I love it and more than happy to spend time and money on getting it back to A1 condition and working order.
When I compare it to modern cars its built better, feels more capable of doing mile after mile of trouble free driving whilst feeling like I'm wrapped in a solid box if anything unplanned happens.

Any answers gratefully received.

stuart bowes May 3rd, 2021 22:55

for me, newer and newer cars are increasingly more and more of a pain in the arse with unnecessary electronics and so on, personally if it was up to me everything would be really basic and still on carbs and a coil pack

but the cars that ARE like that are getting older and older and I haven't got time to deal with the rust/rubber degrading issues, not for a daily driver

combine that with the requirements for carting kids around, loading up the boot, still looking fairly stylish and having a decent bit of oomph I was pretty much left with a middle-aged Volvo as the main contender

whatever car I get I always do a few minor tweaks and fairly regular maintenance, I get embarrassed if the MOT guy finds something I didn't spot. and add in the fact this is the most money I've spent on a car myself it's a bit of a case of in for a penny in for a pound, I have to keep it running long enough to warrant the outlay

I'm pretty much done with mine though now barring any future problems, so my efforts can go on something older as a project, me and my dad are looking at possibly an old landrover, or he saw a Hillman imp he liked, or I was eyeing up an old vauxhall viva.. tbc

bottom line, older cars are just cooler

stuart bowes May 3rd, 2021 22:59

you know what would be REALLY cool though..

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/pr...ir-for-e47500/

just shame I dont think they did any RHD. or I can't find any for sale, anyway

eternal optimist May 3rd, 2021 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2733960)
you know what would be REALLY cool though..

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/pr...ir-for-e47500/

just shame I dont think they did any RHD. or I can't find any for sale, anyway

They didn’t. But it wouldn’t be impossible to convert one.

john.wigley May 4th, 2021 00:07

Agree wholeheartedly, 'Mattye' and Stuart. Except, for me, a 2006 Volvo is an almost new car compared with our 2000 V70! Prior to that, we had an '87 745 for 18 years. The V70 is not only 'cool', it is also stonkingly good value. We paid just £550 for ours from a dealer almost five years ago now, so it doesn't in reality owe us a bean.

The Imp is a cracking little car, in many ways much better than the ubiquitous Mini. I had a Sunbeam Imp Sport that could run rings round any Cooper except when it came to stopping. A paving slab carried in the front boot greatly improved things there, though! Happy days! :regular_smile:

Regards, John.

T5R92011 May 4th, 2021 01:42

Something like P2 V70 D5 literally gives you everything you ever need in a vehicle.

- Good MPG
- Good Power
- Excellent refinement
- Excellent comfort
- Excellent Stereo
- Excellent road holding ability
- Excellent reliablity
- A great amount of room for hauling items
- Completely flat boot floor
- Boot lip is low to the ground
- 7 seater functionality
- Strong rust protection
- Excellent paint quality
- Good Volvo Safety.

And as far as I can see, the only downsides are:
- Poor turning circle
- Maintainence costs not cheap
- Rear leg room a bit lacking.

If you can pick one up for £500 with 12months MOT you are laughing.

Georgeandkira May 4th, 2021 13:42

Part of the answer of , "why we do it?" is because we can actually see and reach things.

How many P1 and P2 owners replaced control arms or bushings for the first time because posters here and elsewhere could photograph collapsed bushings easily?

The coils come out easily and before you know it, you're doing a timing belt refresh. Not as easily done on other cars.

I'll always leave electronics to engine / fuel management.
No carburetor or bi-metallic air temperature regulation for me anymore.
I like anti-lock brakes too.

stuart bowes May 4th, 2021 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 2734131)
I'll always leave electronics to engine / fuel management.
No carburetor or bi-metallic air temperature regulation for me anymore.
I like anti-lock brakes too.

agree / disagree.. I dunno, obviously the world is a better place with accurate fuel metering and so on (and even dare I say hyrbids and batteries) but for the fun car that does like 1000 miles a year? I don't see it being a major issue tbh

some mechanical systems are just simpler and less prone to failure. I'll take a bi-metalic strip any day over a temperature gauge, relay, and electronic fan all connected to a ECU which is more complicated than Apollo 11

and anti lock brakes? they're great for anyone who panics and just stamps on the stop pedal but seriously it's not that hard to pump a pedal.. for me that's starting to go into the realms of real driving being a lost art. like gearboxes that rev for you when you downshift. eurgh. might as well just have P, R and D. I relish the sense of achievement when you drive a simple car really well

I still havent owned any car which was more fun to drive than a> my old 360gls or b> my old 1.3 16v civic which was totally stripped out. hearing and feeling everything working and learning mechanical sympathy. pure joy. you can keep your M3's and Ferraris

I cant wait till my boys are old enough to get in an old fiesta or something and I can just say go for it, dont be afraid to make it scream (within the speed limits obvs)

</rant>

stuart bowes May 4th, 2021 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 2734131)
How many P1 and P2 owners replaced control arms or bushings for the first time because posters here and elsewhere could photograph collapsed bushings easily?

on the other hand as a daily driver.. totally agree the V70 has been a joy to work on

Dazza95 May 5th, 2021 21:17

I agree with most of what has been said already. I bought my 2006 S60 D5 with 122k miles on it at the start if 2018 for just under £2000; knowing that some work would be needed to get it up to my standard. I've done over 90k miles now without too many issues. The two major repairs I have done are a new steering rack and a replacement swirl flap assembly. Everything else has just been general wear and tear or service items.

One of the best things for me is how planted and relaxed it feels on motorways; with cruise control it really is fantastic. The climate control system is also excellent - I leave mine in Auto and very rarely make any adjustments.

Downsides for me:

- Fragile stereo, I had to get it repaired which I understand is a common issue.
- Few rattles from the interior which means I have bits of foam stuffed in various places to silence them.
- It once left me stranded when the turbo resonator pipe blew off. No more problems since being replaced with an aftermarket silicone hose for less than £30.
- Healthy appetite for rear brake calipers.

Unfrotunately, I am now looking at a more modern replacement – the introduction of a clean air zone in the area where most of my work will mean it's not financially viable to keep running the vehicle.