Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   towing with FWD? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316312)

Daz2347 Apr 24th, 2021 18:05

towing with FWD?

Hi,
I hope someone can help with advice.
we are about to buy 2020 xc60 D4 inscription just noticed its 129 g/km Strange I though so did some digging only to found out its FWD!

So my question anyone have any thoughts on this.
We tow clubman SE 1350KG and do go into the alps, although currently have a AWD Honda CRV.

Laird Scooby Apr 24th, 2021 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz2347 (Post 2731315)
Hi,
we are about to buy 2020 xc60 D4 inscription just noticed its 129 g/km Strange I though so did some digging only to found out its FWD!

We tow clubman SE 1350KG and do go into the alps, although currently have a AWD Honda CRV.

I think you may find the CRV is only part-time AWD and primarily FWD - what's the problem you're envisaging towing with the XC60 that i would guess is also part-time AWD?

Rich850R Apr 27th, 2021 06:20

Won’t be an issue if the van is loaded correctly including nose weight, we tow a twin axle abbey spectrum which is just shy of 1500kg unladen with our V70, tows perfectly.

Adrian888 Apr 27th, 2021 07:58

A surprising number of XC60’s are front wheel drive only versions, i know of 2 people who have struggled to find 4wd versions. I am however surprised you just assumed it was an AWD and seemingly still happy to buy it. I hope you are not overpaying for it. As for towing i am sure it will be fine providing the caravan is correctly loaded. I would recommend ditching the standard tyres and fitting all weather, the benefits will help offset some of the loss of 4wd. I also agree your current car will be part time 4wd, few if any SUV’s are full time 4wd these days.

eternal optimist Apr 27th, 2021 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz2347 (Post 2731315)
Hi,

Don't buy it if you want a car with the ability to drive all four wheels.

Tannaton May 4th, 2021 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian888 (Post 2731979)
A surprising number of XC60’s are front wheel drive only versions, i know of 2 people who have struggled to find 4wd versions. I am however surprised you just assumed it was an AWD and seemingly still happy to buy it. I hope you are not overpaying for it. As for towing i am sure it will be fine providing the caravan is correctly loaded. I would recommend ditching the standard tyres and fitting all weather, the benefits will help offset some of the loss of 4wd. I also agree your current car will be part time 4wd, few if any SUV’s are full time 4wd these days.

Yes it's part time AWD - but only and all of the times when you need it, and ln later cars (post 2011-ish) that's every time you set off.

Very few SUV's are permanent 4x4 now (i.e. centre diff and 2 live axles) as the extra weight and drag of those systems means it's difficult to get them through passenger car emissions test with sensible results and they are unaffordable as company cars etc. hence most "proper" 4x4's are now commercial vehicles (pickups etc.) with a few exceptions like the new Defender. They are fully electronically managed with automatic locking diffs and couplings. Torsen centre differentials are also appearing now - the VW Amarok has (had) one.

BTW the last time I read up on it - the Honda system wasn't particularly effective, with only something like 20% of the power being able to go to the rear. This may be been improved on now but it doesn't compete with the Haldex based systems.

anotherv60 May 11th, 2021 16:58

We have a FWD Sharan and an AWD XC40, the XC40 is more stable towing, especially on wet roads than the FWD Sharan. They both have similar kerb weights.

I understand that when you are towing the AWD centre diff is engaged all the time, rather than just up-to 20 mph, or when wheel slip is detected.

I've observed there is no "re-engagement of AWD" at 55mph which is noticeable if not towing.

Although none of Volvo's line up are "proper 4WD" I was told at an SAE event that one of the big issues is high speed roll overs in solid / live axles vehicles. Seems the same is true for front overlap crash tests....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEodwUfdEyk