Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   123GT Suspension (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320803)

red122 Oct 21st, 2021 18:48

123GT Suspension

One for the purists I suppose . My genuine GT has very tired suspension .
Thinking what I should fit in terms of springs and shocks that would be as near to original as possible rather than adjustable type shocks .
Am I right in thinking originally the shocks and spring rates and length were different slightly from the regular Amazons ?
Im just thinking of making it as close to original as possible . it will just be a road car for going picnicing in !

classicswede Oct 22nd, 2021 21:30

The springs were just the same as normal.
Dampers I think were the Delphi ones but I could well be wrong on that

Derek UK Oct 23rd, 2021 11:48

Looks like my previous post didn't arrive. Springs the same but listed as having gas shocks. Make not known but might have been Woodhead. For picnicking a set a Monroe's will work fine. I'd keep away from KYB.
I think the Delphi brand is quite recent but I think they include Lockheed who may have supplied the shocks. Not Bilstein but could be Armstrong, Sachs or others.

red122 Oct 23rd, 2021 22:07

shocks

Thanks Derek . I have a brand new set of Monroes which ill try . Springs still not sure ..

dct Oct 24th, 2021 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by red122 (Post 2778996)
One for the purists I suppose . My genuine GT has very tired suspension .
Thinking what I should fit in terms of springs and shocks that would be as near to original as possible rather than adjustable type shocks .
Am I right in thinking originally the shocks and spring rates and length were different slightly from the regular Amazons ? !

The original brochure claims that it was equipped with the same springs as the 1800. I suggest that you confirm with Rob at Amazon Cars. You might want to consider their "Fast Road" springs, which are slghtly lower than stock Amazon, but as progressives yield a more comfortable ride.

Ron Kwas Oct 25th, 2021 14:35

Derek;

"I'd keep away from KYB."...please elaborate on your reasons and reasoning...

I have KYB Gas Shocks in combination with stock springs and Front (1 1/*8") and Rear (3/4") ASBs in both 122 and 1800, and must say that I like the road-manners of both very much...still relatively soft and able to handle bumps and undulations well because of the original spring heights and rates, but quite capable (and fun!) in the twisties also, and able to take advantage of modern tires at the limit.

My target is not to build a short trip boy-racer, but a normal, capable roadcar, with road-manner which will allow me to take a long trip without needing to have fillings reset at the dentist, and regretting having hardened up the suspension, with lowered or progressive springs...what say you?

Cheers

Derek UK Oct 26th, 2021 13:35

There may be different versions of the KYB's but general opinion is that they are rather hard and harsh, Certainly a pair of the white ones I had on the rear of an Amazon had it hopping across the road on bumpy corners. Monroes brought it back to normal. Monroes are cheap but fine for average and modest mile motoring.
Double ASB/ARB set-ups may get better results with harder shocks.

c1800 Oct 26th, 2021 16:36

I had KYB Gas-a-just shocks on my 1800e when I bought it. They are indeed harsh, wheel hopping in the rear over small road imperfections, and a very rough ride. Changed the rears to a generic shock absorber and those problems were eliminated and handling is just fine for general use. I will change the fronts too when I get to it.