Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   General: C70 Buying advice - any tips? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318699)

TimS996 Jul 26th, 2021 18:22

C70 Buying advice - any tips?

Looking to buy a later model C70 2008 onwards now. Any engine considered but ideally an auto and avoiding the Ford Powershift problems.

I'm not into the hard ride any more so would be trying to avoid the 18" wheels.

I'll be doing city commuting as well as long weekend trips and the auto would make more sense, I think. Like these cars for a while but now got the spare cash to get one for a couple of years.

Are there any particular problems to look for, and any spec options to get? Ideal seems to be the SE Lux, but I can't find what was changed after the 2009 upgrade. Was this just a facelift externally or was there more that makes it worth looking for for a later car?

I've seen a few lower mileage 2008's and some high mileage 2011's, so wondering which might give the best condition. Also quite a few seem to be missing service history, which is a shame.

Any advice welcome and if you have a nice one to sell pm me. Budget is around 5-7k but flexible up or down and happy to pay less. Ideally I'd like one I could put a towbar on for my bike carrier and small trailer.:regular_smile:

Simmy Jul 26th, 2021 21:13

go for the highest spec se lux with as many extras as possible blis dynaudio stereo with sub woofer parking sensors ect make sure to to a long test drive to get auto box up to temp as this is where it will show any faults check MOT history to see if its had an easy life check its not a cat d insurance repaired and most of all do several roof operations to find out if every thing is ok . check there is no outstanding finance . good luck hope you find a good one. facelift ones start around 2010.

andy_d Jul 26th, 2021 21:17

either of the 5 cylinder Volvo Petrol engines with the geartronic box "happy with that"
2.4i Petrol+ geartroinic is a Good combo
T5 (2.5 iirc) + geartronic good combo,, Maybe slightly harder to find one that hasnt been "gary'd" tho (there Are some tastey T5's with sensible sane and Worthwile upgrades,, compares to the "gary bolt on tat upgrades" :D )

main issues Seem to be The roof,,it Could be an Expensive fix if its iffy,

Baxlin Jul 26th, 2021 21:27

From my experience of just one car, I wouldn’t buy one with a low mileage and a D3 engine. Mine was a 2011 reg, I bought it at 6 years old, on 28k miles. DPF,EGR, turbo, injector problems in the 4 years I had it.

Maybe I was just unlucky...

When testing the roof action, don’t forget to give the ‘yellow button’ a good check.

Willber G Jul 26th, 2021 21:52

I'm very happy with the D5 in mine.

SE Lux models come with 18" wheels as standard which put me off.

Check the boot for any signs of water intrusion.

TimS996 Jul 26th, 2021 22:40

I guess that's a good point. Does the lux gain anythi g else over the SE?

Simmy Jul 26th, 2021 22:49

if you do a wikipedia search it tells you all about them ours is a 2.0d auto it has 120k and every thing works

Simmy Jul 26th, 2021 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willber G (Post 2757055)
I'm very happy with the D5 in mine.

SE Lux models come with 18" wheels as standard which put me off.

Check the boot for any signs of water intrusion.

my car is an se lux it was a volvo uk car and was ordered with 17 in wheels and a lot of the toys im also very happy with it only problem iv had one broken front spring :regular_smile:

Willber G Jul 26th, 2021 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS996 (Post 2757072)

Better audio (although mine is fine)
Electric driver and passenger seats (mine is driver only)
Electric folding mirrors

Simmy Jul 26th, 2021 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS996 (Post 2757072)

there are afew diferances which are dependant on year. on ours im not shure which are extras as i dont have the build spec sheet:regular_smile: