Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Electrics: 850: Headlamp wiper park position (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53992)

itguy Feb 22nd, 2008 19:05

Headlamp wiper park position

Ok, onto the next minor iritation with my 850.

Headlamp wipers.

Ok, ok. I know people will say 'remove them' but I really like having them and I find they work very well during these winter months.

BUT, the damn things seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to their parking position.

Sometimes its nice, flat, against the stop at the bottom (not pressing on it) and other times its about 1cm up from it.

Both motors seem to do it occasionally, but usually not together.

Anyone else have this / sorted this?

Thanks

Jod T5 Feb 22nd, 2008 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by itguy (Post 373486)
Ok, onto the next minor iritation with my 850.

Headlamp wipers.

Ok, ok. I know people will say 'remove them' but I really like having them and I find they work very well during these winter months.

BUT, the damn things seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to their parking position.

Sometimes its nice, flat, against the stop at the bottom (not pressing on it) and other times its about 1cm up from it.

Both motors seem to do it occasionally, but usually not together.

Anyone else have this / sorted this?

Thanks

the maintenance section is you friend will, the reason why they stop "erect" is cos one of the contacts has lost its springability....
cheers
jod

zaskar Feb 22nd, 2008 21:27

Rather than start a new post, can i ask here;

How easy is it to fit some headlamp wipers to a car that doesn't have any? Do people really say remove them? I think they look great and was slightly disappointed when i went to buy my car and it didnt have headlamp wipers.

Jod T5 Feb 22nd, 2008 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaskar (Post 373597)
Rather than start a new post, can i ask here;

How easy is it to fit some headlamp wipers to a car that doesn't have any? Do people really say remove them? I think they look great and was slightly disappointed when i went to buy my car and it didnt have headlamp wipers.

having never had a 850 without wipers i am not 100% sure but i would not expect it too be too tricky...
i would think the screw holes are there, along with the loom (brown plug) so it would just be a case of a small drill hole in the plastic "brow" below the headlamp and off you go....
If the brown plug is not to be found by the back of the headlamp then i would forget it as the wiring will be complicated...
cheers
jod

zaskar Feb 22nd, 2008 21:46

Apologies-i should have said mine's a V70! Not too bothered about the operation, just would like them there for the look. On a 70 i dont think there is a brow below the headlamp? Would this be a hole in the bumper job?

tarmacsurfer Feb 23rd, 2008 06:02

The bumper on the V70 P1 is different for the headlight wiper to non-headlight wiper model...unlike the 850 which I believe is just a pop out plug on standard bumper???

itguy Feb 23rd, 2008 18:50

Thanks Jod

Motor was removed, relevant item bent and then refitted this morning :)

Time will now tell as to if it's a cure but was working just fine on the car when I refitted.

Jod T5 Feb 23rd, 2008 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by itguy (Post 374072)
Thanks Jod

Motor was removed, relevant item bent and then refitted this morning :)

Time will now tell as to if it's a cure but was working just fine on the car when I refitted.

once mine has stayed upright but gone back down when the ignition was turned on,....
The cure may not be permanent but it is certainly the reason for the failure...
cheers
jod