Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Inner wing plastic sheets. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326005)

Moomoo Jun 14th, 2022 19:38

Inner wing plastic sheets.

I’ve seen a 240 with , what looks like aftermarket , plastic sheets running at each side under the bonnet below the wing edges. I presume they are to deflect water away from the inner wings.

Anyone know more.🤔

Bob Meadows Jun 14th, 2022 19:54

My '88 240 has front wheel arch plastic liners:~
Original fittings, but not sure if all models had these from new.

The car is also fitted with rear liners (not original items) I believe no 240 models had them as standard for some reason:
Bob.

Moomoo Jun 14th, 2022 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Meadows (Post 2829244)
My '88 240 has front wheel arch plastic liners:~
Original fittings, but not sure if all models had these from new.

The car is also fitted with rear liners (not original items) I believe no 240 models had them as standard for some reason:
Bob.

My91, 240 has wheel arch liners at the front. I believe 740 rears can be modified to fit 240s.

The ones I’m asking about are flat plastic sheets, fastened under the bonnet, secured to a strut- top thread. They are under the wing gutters.

Bob Meadows Jun 14th, 2022 20:51

Not seen those:~
Are they intended to stop water running of the bonnet into the engine bay?

Always thought that design lacking on the 240- revised my car by adding rubber seals to the underside of the bonnet & inner wing tops: keeps the water out of the engine bay.
Bob.

Moomoo Jun 14th, 2022 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Meadows (Post 2829257)
Not seen those:~
Are they intended to stop water running of the bonnet into the engine bay?

Always thought that design lacking on the 240- revised my car by adding rubber seals to the underside of the bonnet & inner wing tops: keeps the water out of the engine bay.
Bob.

It’s on a 240 GLT on eBay, seen it before on others.

No good at links, alas , sorry!🤔

Clifford Pope Jun 15th, 2022 07:11

I can't picture what you mean - a photograph would help.
I've never found any particular problems with water getting in under the bonnet.
Obviously there's a gaping hole at the front because the radiator needs a good flow of air, but you can't block that.
There's a plastic undertray that runs from the front crossmember to the one behind the engine, but that's often missing because it gets damaged or the bolts seize up and snap off so it's not held on properly. It doesn't seem to do much anyway.

Moomoo Jun 15th, 2022 08:06

1 Attachment(s)
Tried to add photo . That bit on the right.

Clifford Pope Jun 15th, 2022 08:36

Thanks - that's not at all how I pictured them - I imagined sheets hanging down the sides of the engine to shield the distributor etc.
So it's to stop water splashing over the battery? Is that a problem, not that I've ever noticed any?

What does the sheet on the other side do - there's only the washer reservoir surely?

Moomoo Jun 15th, 2022 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope (Post 2829301)
Thanks - that's not at all how I pictured them - I imagined sheets hanging down the sides of the engine to shield the distributor etc.
So it's to stop water splashing over the battery? Is that a problem, not that I've ever noticed any?

What does the sheet on the other side do - there's only the washer reservoir surely?

As you say, under bonnet water isn’t exactly the problem foremost I my mind either.
It would probably be better without out it but not a problem, is it ?

I’m interested in Bob’s seals though!🤔👍

Bob Meadows Jun 15th, 2022 09:29

It would be interesting if a full view of these could be obtained or explained:~

Most if not all cars incorporate a water channel section as part of the wing top edge extended under the bonnet sides.
I can post a picture later of the rubber seals that I've used.
Bob