Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Volvo extended warranty (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326545)

MacV50 Jul 15th, 2022 12:52

Volvo extended warranty

Haven't had to use my extended warranty much until recently.

So far, its covered broken rear spring (£463 for both), angle gear gearbox replacement (£1500ish) and yesterday, I got approval for both rear tailgate power struts (£750ish) and the drivers door window controls (not sure how much for that)

It might be pricey (now £757 / year) but I've definitely had my money's worth from it

No further on with the rear rain leak but hopefully have some progress in a week or two

scissors Jul 15th, 2022 14:20

That's impressive value for money, although a little worrying if you hadn't had it.

I extended for one year and never used it so never bothered after that. Fortunately I've not had any issues.

MacV50 Jul 15th, 2022 16:57

Yes, a few issues that shouldn't really be happening on a 6 year old car. I've had it 5.5 years so know most of the history.

TBH, I really wasn't bothered about the window switch lighting but thought I'd ask.

The tailgate struts are a major bonus given the cost. If they hadn't been covered, I'd likely have converted to gas struts.

Springs are just a consumable so I really didn't expect it to be covered so again a bonus.

The angle gear gearbox is definitely not good. I'm not sure if the replacement is a better design or if it'll fail eventually. The original lasted 86k. I'm pretty sure I won't have this car in another 86k but may replace with a newer XC60. I wonder if they have a similarly weak part in that area?

MacV50 Aug 3rd, 2022 08:04

So, drivers door window switches and tailgate struts replaced yesterday. Would have been £960 but all covered by Volvo warranty

As for the rain leak, I'm pretty sure it's the shark fin. I've temporarily sealed around it with electrical tape and so far no more water. Will give it a bit longer as there's not been much rain recently. Assuming it stays dry, I'll get a new seal fitted as it's only half an hour labour and £26 for the seal

Easington Aug 3rd, 2022 08:48

To be honest I've never heard of the angle gear unit failing so hopefully it's a one off

MacV50 Aug 3rd, 2022 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easington (Post 2837655)
To be honest I've never heard of the angle gear unit failing so hopefully it's a one off

If you search there seems to be quite a lot of instances although more with older models

I'll probably be changing the car next year so don't think I need to worry about it

Easington Aug 4th, 2022 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacV50 (Post 2837692)
If you search there seems to be quite a lot of instances although more with older models

I'll probably be changing the car next year so don't think I need to worry about it

Sorry was meaning our age of vehicles. I've heard of it happening quite a lot to older XC90s etc

Mick787 Aug 5th, 2022 20:50

I was never given the chance to extend the Volvo warranty on my 2016MY XC60. The main dealership I bought it from were utter rubbish. I wanted a bit of peace of mind once the 3 years was up. I chose an aftermarket warranty company and it was around £1k for 3 years cover with any work needed being done at main dealerships. I've only had to call on it once so far. All I have to do is ensure it is serviced as per manufacturers recommendations and that goes without saying. If I can afford, yes I will continue with the cover.

MacV50 Aug 5th, 2022 21:58

Volvo warranty is definitely a lot more expensive. I'll have been around £1800 for 3 years cover but I've had about £3k in claims so has been worthwhile.

MacV50 Sep 15th, 2022 09:34

Another shout out to the Volvo warranty

Driveshaft oil seal leak fully covered. No idea what the cost would have been

The warranty used to only cover oil leaks if they required a major component to be removed in order to fix them but it was changed this year to cover ALL oil leaks