Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325202)

Seasider72 May 2nd, 2022 16:40

V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

My Volvo v60 powered tailgate has started sinking a few inches after reaching maximum height. Nearly knocked me unconscious in the supermarket car park this morning when it started closing unexpectedly whilst I was loading the shopping bags!

Will this require a new pump/motor or just replacement tailgate struts?

Either way, sounds expensive :-(

passenger May 2nd, 2022 18:11

I have same problem, need to change this:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

nu11eaf May 2nd, 2022 20:16

Have you got foot movement opening/closing, and did you have your foot under the sensor while loading items in the cargo area, which will close the tailgate.

Seasider72 May 3rd, 2022 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2822300)
Have you got foot movement opening/closing, and did you have your foot under the sensor while loading items in the cargo area, which will close the tailgate.

No - it happens every time I open the boot now, irrespective of the foot sensor (which I find never works most of the time, especially when carrying heavy items! LOL)

Iansr May 4th, 2022 10:34

I have a 68 reg V60 and I have exactly the same problem. Anyone know what the solution is?

BTW, the auto raise function with the foot under the car has never worked consistently on our car. We complain about it every time the car goes in to the dealer.

Iansr May 4th, 2022 10:36

The link to the YouTube vid posted by Passenger does not work on my ipad, can someone post the URL please?

Seasider72 May 4th, 2022 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iansr (Post 2822542)
I have a 68 reg V60 and I have exactly the same problem. Anyone know what the solution is?

BTW, the auto raise function with the foot under the car has never worked consistently on our car. We complain about it every time the car goes in to the dealer.

I've been looking online for replacement tailgate struts for a V60 II 2018+ , but just can't seem to find them anywhere. Looks like it might have to be a main dealer job :-(

Seasider72 May 4th, 2022 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iansr (Post 2822544)
The link to the YouTube vid posted by Passenger does not work on my ipad, can someone post the URL please?

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zsWRSEnxaA&t=2s

kdst5 May 4th, 2022 13:00

I had this problem on my V70 and watched the YouTube video posted above as the XC70 and V70 have basically the same interiors. However I knew that Volvo changed the tailgate system part way through the XC70/V70 P3 run.

So instead of buying the parts before starting I took the existing strut off and got the part number off that. I also found that indeed Volvo had changed the design and there is only one strut of a different design from the one in the Video. I then looked up the part number and found that I could get a Stabilus strut from Auodoc for £32.

This turned out to be quite a cheap fix but quite time consuming as I had to take the trim etc. apart twice, once to find the part and number and once to put the new part in once it arrived. It did fix the problem and the noise from the motor also changed as before it sound like it was struggling a bit to open the tailgate which presumably it was.

So I would highly recommend that you look at what mechanism you have by taking it apart and getting the actual part numbers of your one. Time consuming but worth it. I also have no idea how similar the new XC90 tailgate is compared to the P3 V70.

Seasider72 May 4th, 2022 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdst5 (Post 2822575)
I had this problem on my V70 and watched the YouTube video posted above as the XC70 and V70 have basically the same interiors. However I knew that Volvo changed the tailgate system part way through the XC70/V70 P3 run.

So instead of buying the parts before starting I took the existing strut off and got the part number off that. I also found that indeed Volvo had changed the design and there is only one strut of a different design from the one in the Video. I then looked up the part number and found that I could get a Stabilus strut from Auodoc for £32.

This turned out to be quite a cheap fix but quite time consuming as I had to take the trim etc. apart twice, once to find the part and number and once to put the new part in once it arrived. It did fix the problem and the noise from the motor also changed as before it sound like it was struggling a bit to open the tailgate which presumably it was.

So I would highly recommend that you look at what mechanism you have by taking it apart and getting the actual part numbers of your one. Time consuming but worth it. I also have no idea how similar the new XC90 tailgate is compared to the P3 V70.

Thank you!