Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Body/Trim: 140: GT Instrument Cluster (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57427)

Dylan144GT Aug 27th, 2008 10:50

GT Instrument Cluster

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All

I have a GT instrument Cluster as shown in the attached pic. I'm told this is specifically for the 164 but I have it for my 140. Evidently the tacho is for the 164's B30 which is a straight 6 where as my 140 is a straight 4. Can anyone shod some light on this please?

Dylan

carnut1100 Aug 28th, 2008 03:24

Do you have access to a digital multimeter with tach function?
If so then you can hook up a jumper from the coil to the tach input and run the engine to see if they agree or if the cluster tach is running at 2/3 of the DMM tach then you know if it is for a six or a four.
I think they were made for both.

Of course, if it is for a six, you don't want to have it reading wrong, so you will have to post it to me so I can give it a proper home in a 164.... :-)

DaveTrees Aug 28th, 2008 22:14

Have a look at the back of the tach - it will probably say either "4 zyl" or "6 zyl" or similar on it.

Clan Aug 28th, 2008 23:08

I would say that was a volvo accessorie for a foreign market . The GT instrument kit for 144 and 164 in UK was very different with different gauges they had yellow colour figures and white needles ..

DaveTrees Aug 29th, 2008 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 399544)
The GT instrument kit for 144 and 164 in UK was very different with different gauges they had yellow colour figures and white needles ..

That's for the 73+ models only.

He has the earlier version (that replaces the ribbon-type speedo cluster)

Snowman Aug 29th, 2008 12:44

Although a dash for a '73 car, my original one had a tach marked 6 cylinder but it worked fine on my B20. I've changed to a much better dash and the tach has no markings at all. Took some time to fit but well worth it.

Dylan144GT Sep 1st, 2008 14:13

Thanks for the input guys. I've got a Multimeter with a tach function so I'll test it against that! Hold thumbs that it works! :)

Dylan144GT Sep 2nd, 2008 07:43

UPDATE: I didn't need the multimeter tach. Just looked on the back. It says 6 zyl. Unless I'm in a world where 6 actually means 4, I'm quite dissapointed! :( I'm gonna test it anyway to see if it does work. Wish me luck!

DaveTrees Sep 2nd, 2008 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan144GT (Post 400810)
UPDATE: I didn't need the multimeter tach. Just looked on the back. It says 6 zyl. Unless I'm in a world where 6 actually means 4, I'm quite dissapointed! :( I'm gonna test it anyway to see if it does work. Wish me luck!

It will work, it will just read the wrong values !

FWIW, a friend of mine here in Australia has the 4 cylinder version of that dash in his 164 rally car ..... never know, he might be interested in a tach swap !

Dylan144GT Sep 2nd, 2008 08:34

Dave

I didn't think that it wouldn't work; meant that I'd just try my luck and see if it'd spit out the correct reading. But I don't think so.

If you could run it by your friend in Australia that would be great! If he is keen the let me know here and I'll send you my details via private message. Would definately be game for a tach swop! Wow, what are the chances!

Dylan