Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Electrics: Headlamp Wiper (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57154)

hansol Aug 21st, 2008 21:13

Headlamp Wiper

The off side headlamp wiper on my '99 1.9D has developed a will of its own. It refuses to move when I use the wash/wipe, no water either. The near side is working fine. I assumed the motor had died and thought no more of it. but now with DRL's turned off and without using the washers or wipers, everytime I park up its in a different position.

My understanding is the lights have to be on and the washers used for power to go to it. I've left the car running and sat & watched. It didn't move a bit. I've checked all the connectors and all seems well. I'm now at a loss as too where its getting the power to move the motor. I've checked the arm is secure on the spindle so I can rule out the wind moving it as I drive. Any suggestions gratfully recieved. it may be minor but its driving me nuts !!!

Viking V40 Aug 21st, 2008 21:52

I think the headlamp wiper motor is still trying to continue it's cycle to end in it's parked position. Try this: see where the wiper is sitting - nip inside and switch the ignition on as far as getting all the lights on the panel illuminated - switch off - check where the wiper is sitting now - it's maybe moved a bit more - still trying to continue until it's parked.

I 'pulsed' the ignition on mine like this a few times to get the wiper parked and then disconnected the offending wiper motor - the connector plugs are in the 'tray' behind where the grill sits when the bonnet is closed. You can insulate the plug and socket ends from water until you either repair or replace the motor/mechanism. It might be the commutators in the little motor that drives the wiper that have becomed clogged with carbon. I think there's a how-to somewhere else on the site.

hansol Oct 6th, 2008 22:05

The wiper still refuses to either work or stay in one place so at the moment I've disconected them. The question now is...... are headlamp wipers covered on an MOT ? I could take the arms off, but the spindles will look ugly and looking at the amount of corrosion on them they arn't going to come off without a struggle.

TonyM Oct 8th, 2008 10:07

My headlamp wipers have been unplugged for several years and it's never failed an MOT yet.

NormalNigel Oct 9th, 2008 20:03

Hi,
Mine does the same ,(only the nearside) could not work out how to get to the connectors easily so I just used "brute force and ignorance" to twist the wiper back to the start possision.
Might try to remove them at the weekend.

Nige

Clan Oct 9th, 2008 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM (Post 412281)
My headlamp wipers have been unplugged for several years and it's never failed an MOT yet.

That's because they are not a testable item :-)

TonyM Oct 10th, 2008 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 412814)
That's because they are not a testable item :-)

Oddly enough, thats the conclusion I came to as well :-)

costa993 Nov 7th, 2008 18:12

Where can I disconnect the headlamp wipers from? I can't seem to find the harness.Do I have to remove anything? Thanks

TonyM Nov 8th, 2008 09:51

You will find two plug/socket connectors in front of the radiator - easy to get to.