Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Dashcam installation (power) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234413)

abby606 Aug 5th, 2015 23:42

Dashcam installation (power)

Following the instruction here does this image:

http://i.imgur.com/wye2q3K.png

suggest there is an electrical connector that could be used to power a dashcam (dependant on voltage requirements?).

I'm too scared to take off the panels to check so wanted to know if my theory even makes sense!

chiptivo Aug 6th, 2015 16:15

I have the manual mirror and it is definitely there.
Just hangs, and this connector provides power for the active rear mirror (Option).

I am in the process of attempting a autodimming mirror, but there is some talk the power is not on as default but requires some sort of software change?

wilkhaven Aug 6th, 2015 18:31

I installed power for a dashcam but took it from the fuse board using a fuse adapter - it's really easy to then route that up to the roof-console through the A-Pillar and under the headlining, it comes out in a gap behind the mirror. This way I was able to supply both permanent positive and ignition positive for passive recording.

abby606 Aug 6th, 2015 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiptivo (Post 1958632)
I am in the process of attempting a autodimming mirror, but there is some talk the power is not on as default but requires some sort of software change?

Darn, that's a bit annoying. Please let me know the outcome as I think it would be a very neat solution to use the power from this connector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkhaven (Post 1958711)
I installed power for a dashcam but took it from the fuse board using a fuse adapter - it's really easy to then route that up to the roof-console through the A-Pillar and under the headlining, it comes out in a gap behind the mirror. This way I was able to supply both permanent positive and ignition positive for passive recording.

Would you mind sharing pics if you can? I'm wondering how people orient their cameras because of all the city safety stuff in the way where most people either put their cameras or have ones attached to the back of mirrors pointing at.

Also, I'd be very reluctant to mess about with the a-pillar due to the airbag, is there not a danger of doing something wrong?

Thanks both

wilkhaven Aug 9th, 2015 20:23

The A Pillar cover is really easy and safe to remove, just ensure the wire is routed so it won't get in the way if the airbag is deployed.

I have mounted my camera underneath the central windscreen console - not ideal but mounting at the side means the wide angle lens gets blocked by the plastic cover. It's not ideal and technically not legal - however seeing how many muppets are mounting huge great sat-navs or even tablets in the middle of the windscreen then I don't think there's any danger of it being picked up.

I am looking at how I could mount it on the plastic console behind the mirror so it sits a little higher - but I need another of the round plastic cover that clips into the main console to do this.

I don't have any pictures yet - will see if I can get some this week.

abby606 Aug 9th, 2015 21:08

Thanks wilkhaven,

Couple questions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkhaven (Post 1960079)
I am looking at how I could mount it on the plastic console behind the mirror so it sits a little higher - but I need another of the round plastic cover that clips into the main console to do this.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, is this the circular part that sits proud of the cover for the city safety/rain sensor stuff? Is that separately detachable from that? Or maybe you are talking about something different!

Also, what dashcam did you go for?

wilkhaven Aug 10th, 2015 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by abby606 (Post 1960104)
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, is this the circular part that sits proud of the cover for the city safety/rain sensor stuff? Is that separately detachable from that? Or maybe you are talking about something different!

Also, what dashcam did you go for?

Yes, it's not apparent until you take the whole plastic cover off but that round piece is seperate and just clips in, I used the gap between the two to route the camera power cable.

I've tried 2 dual camera systems (wanted a rear facing camera as well) but found the rear camera knocked out the DAB reception. I had a cheaper MiVue already so have now upgraded that to the new MiVue 658 WiFi. Picture quality is good but in discussions with their customer support about Parking Mode issues.