Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Washer Jets (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272825)

NAD Sep 17th, 2017 09:33

Washer Jets

I need to replace the O/S heated washer jet and L-connector as both are blocked. It seems like 2 types of jet are available -
  • 2-hole directional
  • Fan spray pattern
Are one sort better than the other? I.e. Don't fail, clog less etc.

Clan Sep 17th, 2017 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAD (Post 2319073)
I need to replace the O/S heated washer jet and L-connector as both are blocked. It seems like 2 types of jet are available -
  • 2-hole directional
  • Fan spray pattern
Are one sort better than the other? I.e. Don't fail, clog less etc.

jets clogging especially on heated ones is due to using the wrong cheap additive .
Use volvo fluid which is spirit based and leaves no deposits at all . It is becoming very common now that wash jets go "out of adjustment" when in fact they are still pointing in the correct position , all that is needed is a suitably sized needle to prod the crystalised deposits out of them and correct aim is restored !

NAD Sep 17th, 2017 10:31

Many thanks.
I've heard of jets getting clogged because people in the past used washing up liquid etc, but never because the wrong type of additive has been used! I normally use Prestone screen wash or similar and haven't had any problems with any other marque.

Do you use it neat, or dilute it? I do nearly 30k/yr so go through quite a lot...

Model flyer Sep 17th, 2017 15:17

If you can unclip them and run vinegar through them that often dissolves any blockages.

Clan Sep 17th, 2017 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAD (Post 2319088)
Many thanks.
I've heard of jets getting clogged because people in the past used washing up liquid etc, but never because the wrong type of additive has been used! I normally use Prestone screen wash or similar and haven't had any problems with any other marque.

Do you use it neat, or dilute it? I do nearly 30k/yr so go through quite a lot...

It is neat , a one litre bottle is enough for 1 fill about £3.50 It is similar to methylated spirit, and burns with a near invisible flame !

pierremcalpine Sep 19th, 2017 15:12

I've used both kinds on my V70 and found that the non-adjustable spray ones spray a bit low for my liking. I switched to the two hole types and have been able to aim them a bit higher for highway driving.

NAD Sep 20th, 2017 05:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2319143)
It is neat , a one litre bottle is enough for 1 fill about £3.50 It is similar to methylated spirit, and burns with a near invisible flame !

Now I'm slightly confused? As my car has headlamp washers the manual says the tank has 6L capacity. A 1L bottle wouldn't be enough for a fill unless diluted?
Many thanks,
Nick

Simon Jones Sep 20th, 2017 12:12

I would guess as the 1 litre bottle is 'neat' you would need to add 5 litres of water to fill an empty tank. Typically, a bottle of concentrated screen wash would have recommendations on the ratios for summer or winter use, so a 1:5 mix may not give adequate frost-resistance properties.

Clan Sep 20th, 2017 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAD (Post 2319913)
Now I'm slightly confused? As my car has headlamp washers the manual says the tank has 6L capacity. A 1L bottle wouldn't be enough for a fill unless diluted?
Many thanks,
Nick

yes you need to dilute it .
THe table is on the bottle depending what temperature you want it to be safe down to

in UK down to -18C you will need to dilute 33% that is 2 litres of wash fluid to 4 litres of water for your 6 litre bottle ...

NAD Sep 20th, 2017 22:39

£7 to fill the washer bottle doesn't sound particularly cheap, but I guess it depends on how well it works.
Some of the super cheap ones are terrible, smear like crazy and you have to use loads to shift even a tiny amount of diesel film off your windscreen.
I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Perhaps a single bottle first though!
Many thanks!