Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   91 940 speedo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316522)

Basher1 May 3rd, 2021 13:05

91 940 speedo

Just bought a 940 and the speedo isn’t working, sometimes shows, sometimes erratic and the rest of the time stuck showing 30mph, the miles never register regardless of what’s happening.
Seems to be a common issue from what I’ve found and a few topics on it on here, but is there anyone who offers a repair service on them? I don’t have the patience to do the soldering, going to check the sensor first and probably remove the unit

siadow May 3rd, 2021 13:48

Good luck

Hi buddy!
Good luck, I’m still searching a replacement for mine. You can read my woes if you search my name, siadow!

360beast May 3rd, 2021 13:50

Chances are the capacitors have leaked etc, if you ask Dave nicely he might be up for repairing both of your speedometers.

See post #140 here for pictures

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...311775&page=14

Laird Scooby May 3rd, 2021 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher1 (Post 2733771)
Just bought a 940 and the speedo isn’t working, sometimes shows, sometimes erratic and the rest of the time stuck showing 30mph, the miles never register regardless of what’s happening.
Seems to be a common issue from what I’ve found and a few topics on it on here, but is there anyone who offers a repair service on them? I don’t have the patience to do the soldering, going to check the sensor first and probably remove the unit

First, leave the sensor alone, chances are it's fine. If you have ABS and the ABS warning light hasn't come on, definitely leave the sensor alone as it's fine.

Second, remove the drivers kick panel trim and locate the MEP (Multiple Earth Point) and clean and tighten all the terminals on it. This may solve the 30mph when static or driving problem but that sounds more likely to be a broken/leaked capacitor within the speedo.

Do the odo/trip meters function as you drive along or are they dormant like the speedo? :thinking:

Basher1 May 3rd, 2021 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2733846)
First, leave the sensor alone, chances are it's fine. If you have ABS and the ABS warning light hasn't come on, definitely leave the sensor alone as it's fine.

Second, remove the drivers kick panel trim and locate the MEP (Multiple Earth Point) and clean and tighten all the terminals on it. This may solve the 30mph when static or driving problem but that sounds more likely to be a broken/leaked capacitor within the speedo.

Do the odo/trip meters function as you drive along or are they dormant like the speedo? :thinking:

ABS is fine, trip isn’t moving at all

Thanks il give that a shot, can’t harm

Laird Scooby May 3rd, 2021 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher1 (Post 2733925)

What about the odometer? :thinking:

Basher1 May 4th, 2021 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2733966)
What about the odometer? :thinking:

Odometer is the same doesn’t shift

Laird Scooby May 4th, 2021 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher1 (Post 2734158)
Odometer is the same doesn’t shift

Thanks, handy to know! :thumbs_up:

Challo May 5th, 2021 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher1 (Post 2733925)

I'll be interested to know how you get on with this and what the fix is. My speedo / odometer doesn't work either.

Its on my list of jobs to do.

bob12 May 6th, 2021 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Challo (Post 2734554)
I'll be interested to know how you get on with this and what the fix is. My speedo / odometer doesn't work either.

Its on my list of jobs to do.

I suspect the cluster/speedo in your '90 740 was made by VDO rather than a Yazaki found in 940's. The two have different primary fail faults. The usual culprit on a VDO of the era is a stripped gear wheel in the internal drive. You can dismantle the speedo (with great care) and replace the gear wheel for about £10.

Bob :)