Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Replacing headlight bulb V70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303403)

teleplayer Feb 9th, 2020 19:56

Replacing headlight bulb V70

When googling for how to replace the nearside dip beam bulb I never thought I would be looking at a video of someone completely dismantling the front end of the car. This is madness. Surely there's an easier way?

Bonefishblues Feb 9th, 2020 20:22

Cough Halfords cough.

oragex Feb 9th, 2020 21:12

No need but plastic post-facelift ones were designed by the red cross. Se signature link for vids

Simmy Feb 9th, 2020 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by teleplayer (Post 2598369)
When googling for how to replace the nearside dip beam bulb I never thought I would be looking at a video of someone completely dismantling the front end of the car. This is madness. Surely there's an easier way?

near side is not to bad if you remove the air box offside is vry difficult even with ecu box removed. if you have time its easyer to drop the bumper and remove complete headlight or find an assistant with small hands, iv done all three methods none are easy:regular_smile:

VroomVroomClonk Feb 10th, 2020 08:36

Quote:

Surely there's an easier way?

Get a spare bit of stiff electrical wire about six inches long and crimp a spade connector socket to one end of it. Push the spade socket onto one of the terminals on the back of the bulb and then hold the length of wire as a handle for the bulb. This allows you to steer and adjust the bulb into place even whilst watching from outside through the headlight lens to make sure the bulb is seated properly.
You will still need to get your hand fully in to finally clip the bulb into place, but you can then pull the "handle" wire off and connect the power to the bulb.
It's still a fiddle, especially to get the bulb to seat properly, but I spill a lot less blood doing it this way.

volvo2 Feb 10th, 2020 09:46

Quote:

Yes, I heard of this. It seems to be the case for the face-lift models. Mine is a 2002 and although I would not say it is easy (eg best to remove the window washer filler tube on that side) at least the bumper does not need to come off. Appallingly bad design in my opinion.

john.wigley Feb 10th, 2020 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo2 (Post 2598503)
Yes, I heard of this. It seems to be the case for the face-lift models. Mine is a 2002 and although I would not say it is easy (eg best to remove the window washer filler tube on that side) at least the bumper does not need to come off. Appallingly bad design in my opinion.

From our perspective, I can but agree, 'volvo2'. But whether it is 'bad' design or not depends upon your design criteria.

Cars have long been designed / engineered for ease and speed of assembly on the production line. Unfortunately for owners such as us, that often makes access difficult for changing many components, not just headlamp bulbs.

The more cynical among us may also see it as a ploy by all manufacturers to get us to spend more money with their dealers!

I'm sure it is also why we see so many 'one-eyed monsters' on the roads today. I always carry spare bulbs and, although I have in the past changed one in a works car park before setting off home up the motorway, it is certainly not a job to be done at the side of the road on a dark night in the pouring rain.

Regards, John.

john.wigley Feb 10th, 2020 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2598376)
Cough Halfords cough.

When I had one changed on a Saab 9000, 'Bonefishblues', they broke the plastic cover that locates onto the back of the headlamp and still charged me for changing the bulb. They also have a list of makes and models which they will not attempt (the more difficult / involved) which rather defeats the point.

Regards, John.

R111RWD Feb 10th, 2020 16:35

Quote:

I always remember when I had to change mine in my 2004 V70. I never thought it would be so difficult, although on a Renault Megane once, the front wheels had to come off lol

Bonefishblues Feb 10th, 2020 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2598655)
When I had one changed on a Saab 9000, 'Bonefishblues', they broke the plastic cover that locates onto the back of the headlamp and still charged me for changing the bulb. They also have a list of makes and models which they will not attempt (the more difficult / involved) which rather defeats the point.

Regards, John.

I know. But they do Volvos in this flavour. Ask me how I know that too.

It's really not worth the *arse-ache when a (typically) young person can do it for a very modest fee - it's not to me, anyway! :)