Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S80/V70 2.4 Petrol Buying Guide? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258963)

KerPLoD Nov 6th, 2016 14:54

S80/V70 2.4 Petrol Buying Guide?

I may potentially be in the market at some point in the near future for a first generation S80 or the equivalent V70. The one I would be getting would have to be a non-turbo 2.4 petrol 5 cylinder with a manual gearbox. I don't do enough distance to warrant a diesel and being 21 years old, and a non-turbo would suit my bank account somewhat better.

So, as far as I know, that leaves me with either a 2.4 140BHP or 2.4i 170BHP version with either S or SE trim.

I'd prefer a 170BHP version but I'd settle for the 140. I'd be looking for a low mileage version (under 100k-ish).

I've driven a few automatic 140 versions and I'm in love with the engine noise. I've always liked how these cars look as well. And don't get me started on the seats. Even the cloth ones are gorgeous!

So, I'm perfectly happy with how they look, sound and drive, but I'm wondering if there are any particular reliability issues out there. I hear a lot of problems with the D5 engine and problems with the handbrake, and not so many with the T5, but I haven't heard much at all about the standard 2.4 or the 2.4i.

I figure a non-turbo would be somewhat more reliable simply by having less to go wrong.

If anyone can tell me of anything I should be wary of, or if I shouldn't buy one, I would be very grateful for your help.

I did do a quick search to try and find if anyone has asked before, but couldn't find anything, so sorry if this question has already been asked.

marcb Nov 6th, 2016 15:36

21 years old and going for a large old Volvo? Well, there are always exceptions to the rule...

KerPLoD Nov 6th, 2016 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcb (Post 2191457)
21 years old and going for a large old Volvo? Well, there are always exceptions to the rule...

Yeah, you're not wrong there! I already own a 1992 240!

Most people my age go to those places like magaluf and spend all their money on getting drunk and what not.

My job means I drive a few different cars though - and I've driven a few Volvos around 10-15 years old - I love the mix of big(ish) engines and comfort. I love the style, too.

BarryCambs Nov 6th, 2016 17:08

I've had a 2002 2.4t for 5 years. I would have preferred a diesel, but got this one as it was a 7 seater. Knowing what I know now, I'm probably glad I missed out on the diesel, as the petrols are certainly a bit simpler and don't have things like vacuum engine mounts and some of the other bits and pieces that can play up when they get older.

What can be a pain is things like constant suspension issues etc, which are going to happen what ever the engine. A lot of these cars, like mine, are 15 years old now and some people buy them believing if they are low mileage and looked after, they will run on without a spanner on them for the rest of time. Then the rad corrodes through and they are left in tears. If you are used to running an older car like your 240 and can do the work yourself, then it's not a problem.

I don't have any experience with the non turbo versions, but I don't think any of the petrols have major unreliability issues. The only time my engine has been touched in 5 years and 40k is when the head gasket went, but I think this could have been down to the previous owner overheating it when the alternator pulley went through the rad just before I got it!

millie68 Nov 6th, 2016 18:40

As with the majority of cars, and more so the older ones, regular oil changes and servicing by previous owners is a must..
Ive had 3 of the 2.4 petols and not had any major issues (maybe ive just been lucky tho) and im now onto my 2nd v70 d5 again no issues... but in all cases the vehicles have had quite a comprehensive service history prior to my ownership..

captains3 Nov 6th, 2016 19:37

Hi I live in Beccles and am selling my v70 170 petrol. I am not a dealer. Its 55 plate 180000 miles still going strong email me on jerrykirk@tiscali.co.uk

KerPLoD Nov 6th, 2016 19:49

So are the radiators quite common for going?

I'm somewhat aware of the suspension problems - I work for a franchise dealer and Volvo is one of the franchises. We've had a couple of older S60s, V70 etc where springs, link rods and a top mount here and there had to be replaced.

I'm lucky in some ways because, despite hating my job, I can get parts at cost (cost to our company anyway).

I don't do a lot of the work myself. Minor things, yes, but a friend of mine is a Peugeot Master tech - I polish his cars for him, he gives me cheap out of hours labour :D

Thanks very much for the nod captains3, but I haven't got space at this moment. This thread is more like preparation for later. Sooner I get clued up, the better right?

A big cheers to everyone who's replied so far.:thumbs_up:

marcb Nov 6th, 2016 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by KerPLoD (Post 2191474)
Yeah, you're not wrong there! I already own a 1992 240!

Most people my age go to those places like magaluf and spend all their money on getting drunk and what not.

When I was your age I was concerned with a different sort of pulling power... hence the Triumph Vitesse convertible.

RM955I Nov 6th, 2016 21:30

The 170 is a rock solid, unstressed lump. Engine wise, there is very little to worry about other than ensuring the belts, pulleys and tensioners have been done. I bought my 170 with 88k on the clock, sold it with 166ish and it was still sweet. In auto trim I found it lacked torque but stick your foot down and it would go. Having said that, I'd check the insurance on a turbo version - yes there's more to go wrong but the lack of torque on my 170 auto was starting to annoy me after 3 years of ownership: maybe the manual is better.

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Nov 6th, 2016 21:45

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for any vehicle you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.