Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Volvo on call service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314140)

Zayynn12 Feb 9th, 2021 09:51

Volvo on call service required

Hi there fellas
I obviously don’t expect a reply to my question in this public forum so any private messages would be greatly Appreciated.

So I’ve recently just snapped up a Volvo V90 19 plate (My19) and after having the battery off and then reconnecting it I’ve got a “Volvo in call service required” error on the dash. Now Ive got Volvo assistance to come out but they couldn’t find any faults so then the dealer told me to bring it in to see if they can fix it on the spot.

turns out it was unplugged for too long and that completely depleted the backup battery. Now because I’ve taken off the battery they won’t cover it under warranty.
They’ve priced me up at £93 for the module and about 200 odd quid for labour + vat.
Does anyone know where this back up battery is located and if it’s possible to recharge them somehow- I don’t mind paying for a new battery but 200 odd for labour is a rip off.

I was actually quite surprised as the tech told me that the battery was disconnected 3 days ago and that the main battery has only ever been fully charged once so it got me wondering what else does the software show up :blink:

Got it on charge overnight but does anyone know where these modules are located

Moonlanders Feb 9th, 2021 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zayynn12 (Post 2708393)
Hi there fellas
I obviously don’t expect a reply to my question in this public forum so any private messages would be greatly Appreciated.

So I’ve recently just snapped up a Volvo V90 19 plate (My19) and after having the battery off and then reconnecting it I’ve got a “Volvo in call service required” error on the dash. Now Ive got Volvo assistance to come out but they couldn’t find any faults so then the dealer told me to bring it in to see if they can fix it on the spot.

turns out it was unplugged for too long and that completely depleted the backup battery. Now because I’ve taken off the battery they won’t cover it under warranty.
They’ve priced me up at £93 for the module and about 200 odd quid for labour + vat.
Does anyone know where this back up battery is located and if it’s possible to recharge them somehow- I don’t mind paying for a new battery but 200 odd for labour is a rip off.

I was actually quite surprised as the tech told me that the battery was disconnected 3 days ago and that the main battery has only ever been fully charged once so it got me wondering what else does the software show up :blink:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope you do get the replies in the public forum and not through PM as that is the only way the rest of us learn too! That is one of the great things about this forum.

And welcome to the forum. Ask any questions, most on here are very knowledgeable.

Clan Feb 9th, 2021 10:56

Quote:

Hi there fellas

If all you did was disconnect the battery and refitted it then insist its covered by warranty.. how long did you leave it disconnected for ?

you are supposed to charge the battery with it in the car and the negative charging clip MUST go to the chassis or engine block NOT the battery terminal , this is so the cars systems can monitor what is going on ..

Yes the cars system holds about 3 sheets of A4 details on all aspects of the battery and usage , it lists the types of journeys you do , miles and time taken etc .. + a lot more

On the previous models the On Call reserve battery was a special VERY long lasting battery ( 10 years + ) not the rechargeable type which have a limited life... This has never caused a problem however long the car battery was left off

To charge the battery overnight is nowhere near enough . as a worst case with the battery completely flat leave it on a 10 Amp + charger for 48 hours ... your battery is probably sulphated and this process greatly helps the battery to recover .

For interest, Volvo recommend the battery is charged every 2 weeks in these current conditions when the car isn't used very much ...

For £200 you might get 90 minutes of labour ...

nu11eaf Feb 9th, 2021 11:25

1 Attachment(s)
From the owners manual

Attachment 133359

skippyfox Feb 9th, 2021 16:28

Hello Zayynn 12.
Just out of interest, which dealer did you go to?

nu11eaf Feb 9th, 2021 17:35

Found this on Youtube, may come in handy.
https://youtu.be/GQ1SGYY0lUE

Lexman8 Feb 9th, 2021 19:16

It's unclear which battery is being referred to here, not helped by the confusing names given to the batteries. Here's my understanding of them but I'm happy to be corrected.

There is the main battery in the boot which handles most of the usual functions including supplying the starter motor. Then there is the so-called 'stop/start' battery which doesn't actually feed the starter motor but its job is to ensure that there isn't a voltage drop to the various ECMs, which there would otherwise be, caused by the starter motor drawing a very large current (which would cause a voltage dip).

The OP refers to a VoC service being required so perhaps it's the VoC backup battery that's failed. This battery ensures that even if there is a complete electrical failure (following a crash, say) the VoC/SOS systems will still work. I don't know if this VoC battery is rechargeable or is an extended-storage lithium cell. If it isn't rechargeable and the OP had disconnected the car's main supply for several hours, it's possible that VoC/SOS had reverted to backup mode (as it should) but ran out of power after a few hours. It's unlikely that the VoC backup battery is rated to supply power for more than a few hours.

nu11eaf Feb 9th, 2021 19:53

That is how I understand it, removing the main starter battery for a prolonged period to charge it up instead of using the under bonnet positive and earth charging posts caused the problem, my posts were to say charge the battery via the charge points if you can, and if you must remove the battery follow the video guide using a 12 volt power supply on the charge posts before disconnecting the battery to prevent this happening.
It is a timely warning to us all, now we know the possible consequences.

Lexman8 Feb 10th, 2021 09:35

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Does anyone know where this back up battery is located and if it’s possible to recharge them somehow

I've done some more checking and the VoC backup batteries are located within the VCM (Vehicle Comms Module), see pic. They appear to be non-rechargeable lithium cells.

Quote:

...does anyone know where these modules are located?
Not sure where the VCM is located (might be in the boot) but you really don't want to mess with this module. A replacement unit will cost ~£1,500.

Quote:

I don’t mind paying for a new battery but 200 odd for labour is a rip off.
Actually, that may not be unreaonable given the time it'll take to access the module, replace the batteries, put it back together and test the system.
_

SwissXC90 Feb 10th, 2021 09:45

That pic shows bog standard lithium AA cells.

So replacing the batteries with new ones is dead easy - once you have access to the unit.

But you still need to tell the car it had new batteries fitted.