Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   C70: Tyre Advice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316611)

Shardy May 6th, 2021 14:03

Tyre Advice

Hi, Just purchased a C70 Mk1 Convertible, I am after some advice regarding the tyres.

I am assuming that I have the standard alloy wheels, however the front tyres are 205’s and the rear are 225’s is this normal or should I have the same size on all wheels?

Also what is the correct size of tyre?

Thanks.

JohnM 855 T5R May 6th, 2021 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shardy (Post 2734756)
Hi, Just purchased a C70 Mk1 Convertible, I am after some advice regarding the tyres.

I am assuming that I have the standard alloy wheels, however the front tyres are 205’s and the rear are 225’s is this normal or should I have the same size on all wheels?

Also what is the correct size of tyre?

Thanks.

The tyres should most certainly all be the same size.

My 2004 T5 Convertible has 225/45R17 tyres all round
You don't mention the model. T5's came with 17 inch wheels as standard and the above tyres
Other models came with 16 inch wheels and 205/55R16 as standard though the 17 inch wheels were an option

Regards
John

ITSv40 May 6th, 2021 14:18

My C70 has 17inch wheels as standard and 225/45 Michelin Primacy 4 tyres. I've not had any issues.

Shardy May 6th, 2021 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R (Post 2734761)
The tyres should most certainly all be the same size.

My 2004 T5 Convertible has 225/45R17 tyres all round
You don't mention the model. T5's came with 17 inch wheels as standard and the above tyres
Other models came with 16 inch wheels and 205/55R16 as standard though the 17 inch wheels were an option

Regards
John

Thanks John, much appreciated.

My log book tells me its a T Collection but doesn’t make any reference to a number? Engine size is 1984cc.

I’m assuming they are the standard wheels but will have to check.

Thanks for the advice.

JohnM 855 T5R May 6th, 2021 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shardy (Post 2734772)

My log book tells me its a T Collection but doesn’t make any reference to a number? Engine size is 1984cc.

Thanks for the advice.

OK, yours is the 2 litre turbo which came with 16inch wheels as standard, though the collection edition which you appear to have had lots of "goodies" thrown at it which I am pretty sure included the 17inch wheels.

Regards
John

ITSv40 May 6th, 2021 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shardy (Post 2734772)

Thanks for the advice.

The collection models were Volvo's attempt to boost flagging sales, before the introduction of the Ford based hardtop convertible in 2006. They were basically GT spec with the addition of some unique interior colour combo's.

Bigfella666 May 7th, 2021 07:58

You will have ITS starting at maybe 5 years old

They will almost certainly start to go out of shape !

As you rightly say a great tyre otherwise, but if I recall your gal is a low mileage garage queen, if so likely to end up being a poor choice

I have after extensive research gone for Eagle Assy 5s on both my 70Rs. Been on about a year fantastic tyre but neighbour has an Audi A3 with them on she reckons 9k on the clock and fronts not got not much to go before need replacing- so perhaps I have made a poor choice !

ITSv40 May 7th, 2021 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigfella666 (Post 2734938)
You will have ITS starting at maybe 5 years old

They will almost certainly start to go out of shape !

As you rightly say a great tyre otherwise, but if I recall your gal is a low mileage garage queen, if so likely to end up being a poor choice

I have after extensive research gone for Eagle Assy 5s on both my 70Rs. Been on about a year fantastic tyre but neighbour has an Audi A3 with them on she reckons 9k on the clock and fronts not got not much to go before need replacing- so perhaps I have made a poor choice !

Thanks for that info. When you say they go.out of shape, how does that manifest itself?. I am familiar with flats forming when standing: my Silver Cloud on Avon Turbospeed crossplies would form flats overnight and for the first couple of miles felt like square wheels. Once warmed up everything was fine. I've not come across radials doing similar.

tony209 May 8th, 2021 11:16

Collection edition cars came with 17 inch unique style rims as standard, as did all GT spec cars from 2001 onwards but with a choice of wheel styles.

The collection edition wasn't GT spec, it replaced the basic trim with the edition of soft leather interior and special wheels. The GT pack was available at extra cost, across all three engines.

Bigfella666 May 11th, 2021 10:49

Howdy ITS

You will get a vibration through the steering column and or a tick ticking as if something stuck in the tread. I was v unlucky as mine had loads of tread and I was well hacked off but fingers crossed you are lucky !!