Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   No more 5 cylinders from Volvo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134272)

Stefanfed Sep 17th, 2011 20:39

No more 5 cylinders from Volvo

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there will soon be no more 5 cylinders being developed by Volvo :(

850Chris Sep 17th, 2011 21:24

The end of an era started by the 850T5 :(. 5 cylinder turbo engines are amazing and have powered some awesome cars over the years. The sound they make is so distinctive. Always thought it a shame that the latest V70 doesn't have a super powerful 5. Also, the fact you can only get the T6 (twin turbo straight 6) as an auto is a sign of the way Volvo are moving. A sad day indeed!

Daim Sep 17th, 2011 21:33

I never liked the 5 cylinders... Always thought they sounded broken and had no benefits compared to equal sized 4/6 cylinders.

My Mum's S80 2.0T (B5204T8) runs more rough, than my 2.0l 4 cylinder. It doesn't have the exhaust note (stock) which my (stock) engine has.

Also, I never thought of the I5 as a Volvo engine. Volvo engines have 4 or 6 cylinders (my opinion) and had a smoothness, which was hard to beat at the time of development (i.e. as the redblocks came).

t5_monkey Sep 17th, 2011 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 987003)
I never liked the 5 cylinders... Always thought they sounded broken and had no benefits compared to equal sized 4/6 cylinders.

My Mum's S80 2.0T (B5204T8) runs more rough, than my 2.0l 4 cylinder. It doesn't have the exhaust note (stock) which my (stock) engine has.

Also, I never thought of the I5 as a Volvo engine. Volvo engines have 4 or 6 cylinders (my opinion) and had a smoothness, which was hard to beat at the time of development (i.e. as the redblocks came).

Try upgrading your hearing aid!

5 cylinders sound AMAZING!! audi Quattro rally car anyone ??

Stefanfed Sep 17th, 2011 23:02

How can you not like the 5 cylinders I have never known anyone not like them

Jim760 Sep 18th, 2011 06:35

allways loved the noise, but the 6 pot 24v whiteblock can sound simular to them. my isue with the 5 cyl was how tight to work on it was for me (this is not going to improve with the way of modern cars) and the fact that they were fitted to FWD or AWD cars only. :loser:

what it is, some people may just not apriciate that sound,and are more suited to the casual waftign of a 6 or a 4, an odd number may even sound popsterous!

heres a jazzed up I6 (960, x90 series) lovely nosie off the 5 or that one!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

t5_monkey Sep 18th, 2011 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim760 (Post 987136)
allways loved the noise, but the 6 pot 24v whiteblock can sound simular to them. my isue with the 5 cyl was how tight to work on it was for me (this is not going to improve with the way of modern cars) and the fact that they were fitted to FWD or AWD cars only. :loser:

what it is, some people may just not apriciate that sound,and are more suited to the casual waftign of a 6 or a 4, an odd number may even sound popsterous!

heres a jazzed up I6 (960, x90 series) lovely nosie off the 5 or that one!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Did I hear Blow off Valve on that 6 ????

Jim760 Sep 18th, 2011 10:11

correct tis a turbo'd 3.0 24v in the states, it can be heard ideling 1/4 of a mile away.

more sexy noise from it
+ YouTube Video

*shivvers* i think i came.

RUTV70 Sep 18th, 2011 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim760 (Post 987214)
correct tis a turbo'd 3.0 24v in the states, it can be heard ideling 1/4 of a mile away.

more sexy noise from it
+ YouTube Video

*shivvers* i think i came.

LOL...Not surprised.!!!......great sound.!
...and another vote FOR the 5 cylinder engine...has such a distinctive note..!

Neil

Daim Sep 18th, 2011 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by t5_monkey (Post 987058)
Try upgrading your hearing aid!

5 cylinders sound AMAZING!! audi Quattro rally car anyone ??

Don't think so. I've never liked the noise. Can't beat a 6 cylinder with the right settings nor a 4 cylinder with fuel economy... ;)

Btw.: Audi only built 5 cylinders in their older cars, because they couldn't fit a 6 cylinder and then invented the myth of a 5 cylinder having the power of a 6 but the economy of a 4 cylinder engine ;)

+ YouTube Video

That is my C30 with a 2.0l non turbo 4 cylinder... Exhaust is stock... Reved only to 2.500 rpm - no need for more...! I like that grunt more than...:

+ YouTube Video

Which is a T5... When on tick over, then that Duratec has a deep grunt...

I just really don't like the sound of a 5 cylinder. It has no "specialty" anymore and just has too much inside friction to be as economic as a modern 4 cylinder engine. Thrus, the sound can easily be edited... Ford even tried to remove the 5 cylinder sound in their Focus STs to make them sound more "Ford'y".